Low stomach acid possibilty

Posted , 5 users are following.

Looking around the internet I've seen people talk about low stomach acid causing problems which is usually blamed on excessive acid when it fact it may be the opposite. They talk about trying different tests to check such as the baking soda test and taking HCL with a high protein meal. One thing they mention is not to come off the antacid medication quickly but to wean yourself off. This I don't understand as surely taking something like Omeprazole if you are actually suffering from too little acid is going to make things worse so immediately stopping will help. Why would one have to wean themselves off this antacid.

I too suffer from a band of pain under my ribs for the last 3 weeks. Taking Gaviscon gives temporary relief but am currently trying ACV and HCL and doing the bicarb moring test to see if my acids are low. So far nothing is really working although the ACV does seem to give a little relief and my stools are healthier looking.

It's a bit of a minefield as it could be a long list of things, am just fed up with the near constant discomfort/pain.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

The problem actually lies with low stomach acid. Doctors have led us to believe we have too much stomach acid, when in fact this is actually rare unless it’s due to a disease called Zollinger-Ellison Stndrome. The problem is, although PPI’s do give relief, their actually only suppressing the problem, not dealing with the cause. In actual fact, PPI’s actually increase stomach acid when you stop them. This is partly why so many people struggle to stay off them for good. Instead of nasty PPI’s, try to eat lots of veg, ideally organic, unprocessed foods. Take a Betaine Hydrochloric supplement, this will help you digest your food better. Aloe Vera juice eases symptoms of acid reflux, Himalayan Crystal salt also increases hydrochloric acid in your stomach, this is the purest salt on earth and contains numerous minerals. Try eating fermented foods as these often have more probiotic activity than probiotic supplements. Always buy organic when you can see organic foods, supplements etc. 

• Posted

Coming off PPIs quickly can cause acid rebound in some people. This why doctors advise you to come off them slowly.  I came off PPIs quickly years ago and did not get acid rebound. However, everyone is different.

If you are getting a band of pain under your ribcage, I would ask for an endoscopy to look for gastritis which can cause the type of pain you are having.  They may also look for h pylori as well during this procedure.  If you do have an endscopy, stay off PPIs for a least two weeks to make sure your results are accurate.

What is HCL?

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation.  With me, however, anything acid will cause me heartburn because I have too much acid caused by my lower oesophageal sphincter being weak and allowing acid to spew out. Milk and antacids help me loads. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.