Low stomach acids

Posted , 2 users are following.

I suffer from acid reflux and take 2ppi daily 20m each. I still have spouts of it even when eating non trigger foods. I was curious does anyone suffer from not enough acid in the stomach which causes the same symptoms and if so was There a test your GD ordered ?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Do you burp a lot? I burp even when I drink water. I'm on 20 mg PPI plus probiotics everyday to curb it. If you don't burp even when you have carbonated drinks, it may be a sign of low stomach acid. Apple cider vinegar is great to regulate the ph balance in the stomach.

• Posted

I will try the apple cider vinegar. Sometimes if I drink water in the morning it doesn't sit well. Sometimes it works better if I warm it which to me is weird but early morning cold water makes me naucious. During the day I add those flavor packets to it because even plain water sometimes feel good. I recently started buying water with a highhigheer ph and I can tell the difference with those.

• Posted

I found out that I have LOW stomach acid after my doctor had me on PPIs for months and I kept getting worse and suffering terribly! He never even tested my ph-levels. And he now refuses to believe that I have low stomach acid. Here's an easy "at home" test which you can repeat a few days in a row to be sure!

To perform this test: mix one quarter teaspoon of baking soda in eight ounces of cold water, first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything except water. Drink all of the baking soda solution quickly. Time how long it takes for you to belch. Time up to five minutes. If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing anyway.

If your stomach is producing adequate amounts of hydrochloric acid you should probably belch within two to three minutes. Early and repeated belching may be due to excessive stomach acid. Belching results from the acid and baking soda reacting to form carbon dioxide gas. Heidelberg or Gastrocap tests can be ordered by a "good" doctor for confirmation of the results of this test.

I discontinued the PPIs and began to find some relief right away. Now, I am taking Betaine HCL with Pepsin und Bitters to try to supplement my low acid levels and to allow my digestive system to absorb the nutrients again. I have lost 15Kg over the last 6 months because I was unable to process food without enough acid. It is pretty complicated for me to get the correct dose of capsules regulated...but I'm trying!

If you take 1 Betain Hcl to try and it burns or upsets your stomach - you do not have low stomach acid. Worth a try! Keep me posted!

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I also lost weight because I couldn't digest my food it would be over 8 hours and it would come up as if I ate a few hours prior. The meds that I am don't work and I have changed my eating habits drastically. I will see try the baking soda test this week to see what thst yeilds.

• Posted

To do the low acid test you will need to go off the PPIs for 3 days for it to be effective - that's what I was told.

• Posted

have you been able to gain any weight back? I just startet the Betaine Hcl+ and take probiotics and supplements for the B-vitamins, but I haven't noticed any weight gain. I also altered my diet but have to force myself to eat protein-rich meals to be able to take the Hcl. I just don't have much appetite. and I can't get relief from the acid reflux

• Posted

I have not gained my weight back but I have maintained it and it hasn't gone lower which I am glad because I didn't want to look sick. And I actually eat less protein because I don't feel well afterwards. I do chicken and occasional will do like steak because I will crave it but not much else. And I also don't have an appetite. Some days I will eat lunch and stop there because I don't have an appetite and not hungry. However there are some days that if I do skip let's say lunch by the time it's time to eat dinner I don't havr hunger pains like I how I used to know stomach pains to be but instead acid reflux. Has that happened to you?

• Posted

Our situations sound very similar...I am so sorry that you are going through this same painful mess. I have a very low pain tolerance level and some days I wonder if this will ever end. I am fighting this as best as I can - am so tired of being sick! I want my life back!
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. Some days I get tired of watching what I eat and then it ends up affecting my mood. My pain tolerance is ok but patience is low. I even tried no meats for a month to see if that was a trigger well it wasn't. The crazy thing is one day I could eat a list of things and be great 3 days later eat the exact same menu and have issues. I am tired if being sick also. Having stomach problems is the worst.

• Posted

https://fixyourgut.com/the-magic-bullet-treatment-for-gerd-d-limonene/

Carmen, have you ever heard of this? I am thinking of trying it next...the Betaine Hcl is just not working for me. I can't seem to figure out the correct dosage - one day I take 4 with a meal and it seems to help and the next day I have terrible reflux. Next time with little protein, I just take one and also have terrible reflux. there has to be a better way to get this under control!

• Posted

I have not heard of that nut the reviews look promising. With anything it might work for some and not others. It's worth a shot. Are you going to stop the betainr when you take it? Currently I am only doing femotidone which is just pepcid before I was on omeprozole and before that pantapzole then a combination of both. Just all over the place and even with good eating habits still would have a flare. I am going read some more on it and see about trying it myself. Worth a shot.

• Posted

Does the pepcid alone help you to gain back some weight? I am very weak from losing so much weight and honestly don't know what to do any more.I am very afraid for my health. Today I got "burning mouth syndrome" again - whole mouth, tongue, gums are just on fire and little blisters on the back on my throat.. I am so sick of GERD and all of the pain. Very disappointed that the Betaine Hcl didn't work for me. I'm taking some probiotics and will try the D-Limonene tomorrow. Will let you know

• Posted

The pepcid doesn't help with weight. To be honest I have to pick my days when I do more protein that's the only thing that helps maintain my weight. I also do a weight gainer on days when I am low on calories. The weight gainer helps as a filler but I can't do that every day. The pepcid just helps to calm down my stomach from regurgitating my food. But I still end up having pains which keep me up at night unless I literally sleep upright on the sofa. Let me know how the d-limonene works for you. It is miserable and I do understand being low on energy. I don't get burning in my mouth just pain at the top of my stomach like my food is not going down and after hours if it doesn't go away it ends up coming up. Worse feeling not having control.

• Posted

"Pepsin is the powerful enzyme in gastric juice that digests proteins such as those in meat, eggs, seeds, or dairy products." I was told that I need pepsin to be able to absorb Vitamin B12 and proteins and therefore hoping to gain weight! Isn't this REFLUX-LIFE just the very worst? Hcl didn't help me; the probiotics caused such pain in my intestines...what is wrong with me? I'm trying to find a natural health practitioner to help me get back on my feet before it is too late. I look and feel like hell...

Good luck to you Carmen!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.