Low temperature

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is going to sound really nuts but I had a low grade fever most of the day (99.2-6) and felt the almost constant side pain, nausea and breathlessness. I’ve been in bed a few hours now and haven’t taken any Tylenol, and now my temperature is down to 98.4. Should I worry that my temperature is low? I have had very bad health anxiety with this mono and I almost am afraid my body is just giving up!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hey bjams,

When I was feeling very ill, I never had a fever in fact my temperature was lower than usual - around 36 - 36.5 degrees. Of course, always listen to your body but also try to keep in mind that you will feel like your body is giving up - that is what this virus feels like. If you happened to read some of the other posts, I always talk about going to the ER 6 times over the past 10 weeks because when you feel very ill, it really feels like your body is giving up.

I just wanted to reassure you that I too had a low temperature (and really strange that I never had a fever, even when I was having night sweats it was pretty much normal temperature!)

• Posted

Thank you vancityraincity. That’s so strange about your temperature. It also does make me worry because my boyfriend has had a very low temperature (97ish) And keeps assuring me that’s how he knows he didn’t catch mono. 

I really actually commend you for going to the ER six times. I hope that doesn’t sound horrible, but I am almost paralyzed with fear - it’s 4 am and I was woken up feeling terrible, and I am just letting my brain run wild thinking about everything that could be wrong as opposed to doing anything proactive about it.... except for coming on here of course smile

• Posted

sorry thats in metric.. you'll have to convert 36 degrees C to F. 

• Posted

Hi Bjams, anxiety is part of the symptoms produced by this virus. Please try to take time off work if possible to allow your body to use what energy it has to help with fighting the virus. I would not be too concerned about your body temp. The symptoms you have described seems to be experienced by most of us with GF/Mono.

I too thought my body was giving up. I think the nausea along with the weight loss causes us to be so very weak feeling. Please rest as much as possible.

You will recover. Recovery time varies for each of us but it seems to be a slow process with relapses along the recovery journey.

God has been my refuge and hope. There appears that there is little that physicians can do for us.

You will recover in time. Post when you feel misunderstood or alone in your struggles with this virus. There is much kindness, understanding , encouragement and good will here on this forum.

Prayers, Rhonda

• Posted

Thank you, Rhoda, for your kindness, understanding and encouragement. You are right - this forum has offered so much comfort and help in normalizing how I’m feeling. I did go into work 1 day this week and seem to be paying for it. It’s just such trickery when you rest and think that you can maybe return to normal a bit, only to turn around and not want to move.
  • Posted

Hi Bjams,

I had constant low grade fever throughout the virus, it certainly is a normal symptom for sure and it does get better I do want to reassure. The side pain may be the glands in the abdomonal area / spleen, but again this is very normal with the virus and just want to reassure that these are generally not signs of anything other than the virus.

Your body feels battered when going through mono for sure, and for me it felt like at stages it was never going to recover, but it definitely does recover and your body resilience will come back again - I really do believe you're going to make a full recovery Bjams, the anxiety is very normal and just want to reassure you that these symptoms are normal and that you will get better - I know that doesn't help much when going through it and having to deal with it, but there will come a turning point.

Hang in there and remember plenty of rest and good vitamins - you're doing all the right things,

Craig

• Posted

Thanks, Craig. Your unwavering positivity even after going through this terrible experience is inspiring.
    • Posted

Oh Bjams it's so important for people here to know that there IS full and healthy life after mono / glandular fever. I was in exactly the same terrible physical and emotional state as a lot of people who have posted, I just want everyone to know that no matter how bad it seems right now, no matter how weary and tiring you are with the symptoms, there is hope and there is recovery, and in many ways this virus barks and bites for a long time but it eventually loses its power and your physical and mental strength returns again.

Rhonda you have hit the nail on the head.....making God your refuge whilst the virus attacks is the best thing to do.....He will provide shelter and protection and recovery, even if it doesn't always feel like it, He's watching and won't push his children beyond their limits with this, even though I know some folk feel very close to it at the moment.

Believing in full recovery from mono / glandular fever / EBV for everyone who reads this post, be it today or many days/months/years after it's been posted.

Craig

• Posted

You sound very much like me w the health anxiety! Every single thing is worrisome. 98.4 is not a low fever though. It's only .2 off of normal. 

If it's your right side that hurts (mine did for a month) maybe it's still your liver being impacted and I would then stay away from Tylenol. 

• Posted

Every single thing is worrisome! I sneeze and wonder if my spleen ruptured. But thanks for your respouse. I was trying to lean more On Tylenol because ibuprofen seemed to upset my stomach, but if I can’t seem to win here, maybe I’ll try to avoid both.
    • Posted

I too envy the people that actually go to the ER and get checked out. Just to go to the walk in to her a mono test was a huge deal for me. I have been paralyzed w health Fear for years. Every thing I read I then think I have. It's just terrible!

I do prefer ibuphren but I ask take an over the counter nexium or zegerid if I take them for a few days to protect my stomach 

• Posted

Thinking of you too r05, I know that feeling of everything being worrisome. Just hoping for a settled period for you coming up, thinking of you and rooting for your recovery - I believe it will come and full health will be restored thanks to God.

Yes also empathising with the visits to ER, it's very tiring and so often the doctors / nurses there have little clue or understanding about this virus and the effects it has on people. The worst is when they don't even take the time to consider people are emotionally fragile and need some reassurance that the symptoms they are experiencing are indeed just part of the normal course for the virus, which often they are even though it sometimes mimicks or feels otherwise.

Hang in there, better days ahead - I have no doubt about that.

Craig

• Posted

yeah this experience made me realize two things: how lucky I am to have free access to the ER because as a citizen I pay for universal health care AND how awful our health care system is. I had to mention EBV as a possibility, AND tell the doctors which antigens they can test for. Actually I was looking at that blood work yesterday (I asked them to print all my test results out as I’m seeing a naturopath this weekend) and the EBV tests they ran were very very basic no wonder they didn’t find anything out from them they didn’t even check for Early antigen just viral capsid only. Gah! 
    • Posted

I definitely agree with this experience making you realize how bad the healthcare system is. I can’t believe I spent two months seeing doctors before being diagnosed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.