Low Thyroid.??. Hellppppp!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I suffer from low blood sugar... my readings are often 2.5-3.1.. which makes me feel very tired and weak...

I had my serum free T4 levels tested, they came in at 10pmol/L, my doctor said this was quite low for an 18 year old girl. Has anyone else had these two symptoms together and any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks.. any information would be brilliant... I am so sick and tired of feeling tired the whole time.. not to mention brittle nails and hair, dry skin, and instant muscle fatigue when I exercise... even if my heart rate has hardly been raised!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you have your TSH result ?

Your T4 is too low and could indicate hypothyroidism, which would account for your symptoms.

Is your GP doing anything about it, ie putting you on Thyroxine or doing further tests.

Don't let this go, you need to get treatment if it is your thyroid. If you are hypo then once on treament TSH should be 1 or below and T4 near the top of the range.

• Posted

Yes my TSH is 2.4 mu/L which I was told is normal, I think this would suggest that I don't have hypothyrodism, but I am certain that something is not quite right.

I am a student and am really struggling, I feel exhausted all the time, despite getting ample amounts of sleep. I am desperate to feel full of life again like a did a year ago...

I am frustrated because I began the enquiry mid December and it is only now that they have flagged up low blood sugar of 2.3 and low thyroid, despite having seen the doctor on about 6 occassions.

Thanks for your reply!

• Posted

I suffered from low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) for a few years before i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

The doctor asked how i new it was low blood sugar as only diabetics get it.

I was told to test my blood when having hypo symtons (feeling shakey, dizzy, nauseous, blurry eyes, headaches, dropping things) but i was never anywhere i could do this when i was having them.

When i first got them i had tests for diabetes and hypothyroidism and both were normal. Since then i have asked for my test results and see that my thyroid had slowly worked to underactive.

At the same time I also had menopause symptons and my periods stopped when i was 44 three years ago. I found out i was hypothyroid six months later.

I am convinced all my ailments of the past few years are down to an underactive thyroid that has just taken years for it to be clinically diagnosed.

As to your low blood sugar you have to eat small meals every few hours to keep it stabalised. I unfortunately have never been very good at eating healthy meals like fruit but if you can it should help. I do try to eat good things but I know i don't always acheive this.

If you google hypoglycemia it will tell you what to eat.

• Posted

The medical profession really shouldn't refer to blood results as 'normal'. They happen to be within the reference range, but this may not be 'normal' for that particular person.

An FT4 of 10 is pretty low and should really be mid to upper range. Read as much as you can about the blood testing/ ranges etc. and then it is easier to discuss with your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.