Low TIBC and UIBC labs, with HFE mutations

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm seeing two different doctors to figure this stuff out. While I wait for these appointments, I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight.

I have two copies of H63d,

my hemoglobin levels have been struggling,

TIBC recently was 235 ug/dL,

UIBC 138 ug/dL

Everything else was within normal range. I'm 31 and am otherwise healthy.

Thank you 😃

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Molly, I wrote a response to this some days ago then lost it while trying to sort my printer out. I will try to remember what I wrote.

My husband is homozygous H63D, while I am homozygous C282Y. H63D is the less aggressive gene, and by the sounds of it you are not even loading iron which is normal with this gene. I have found that the lower my ferritin is, the higher the TIBC. UIBC does generally feature in Iron Studies.

I just googled UIBC and found the following "UIBC represents the portion of iron binding sites on transferrin that are not occupied by iron. And "Transferrin is the main protein in the blood that binds to iron and transports it throughout the body. ... This is called the total iron binding capacity (TIBC)". Transferrin Saturation% is an important marker, but you appear to be saying that is normal.

As you say your Hb is struggling, It sounds like it is not quite reaching normal level range. You should not be vx while your levels are at this stage. If you want to increase your Hb, try having some Vit C with your meals. Do not eliminate red meat, greens - this will make you anaemic. You may need Vit B12 injections. Check your Vit D at the same time.

You should continue to be monitored as your levels may change at some point, especially when you have stopped menstruating.

• Posted

I should have said that "UIBC does NOT generally feature in Iron Studies."

I notice that you posted your question again, so I suppose you did not like my response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.