Low UIBC/High iron saturation—but has resolved before

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I am a carrier for hereditary hemochromatosis, but have not been diagnosed. I have had iron panels done over the years that has shown elevated iron levels, but subsequent tests have shown the levels falling dramatically. Now it is high again.

Has anyone else experienced this type of fluctuation? And if so, what was the conclusion? I am scheduled to see a hematologist to look further into this. Here are the values:

2016:

TIBC: 292 ug/ml

UIBC: 62 ug/ml

Iron: 230 ug/ml

Iron saturation: 79%

Ferritin, Serum: 164 ng/ml

2019 #1:

TIBC: 324 ug/ml

UIBC: 33 ug/ml

Iron: 291 ug/ml

Iron saturation: 90%

Ferritin, Serum: 158 ng/ml

2019 #2:

TIBC: 281 ug/ml

UIBC: 126 ug/ml

Iron: 155 ug/ml

Iron saturation: 55%

Ferritin, Serum: 175 ng/ml

2019 #3:

TIBC: 307 ug/ml

UIBC: 155 ug/ml

Iron: 152 ug/ml

Iron saturation: 50%

Ferritin, Serum: 159 ng/ml

2021:

TIBC: 300 ug/ml

UIBC: 22 ug/ml

Iron: 278 ug/ml

Iron saturation: 93%

Ferritin, Serum: 189 ng/ml

As you can see, in 2016 I was high, then my first test in 2019 was also high. I had two follow ups in 2019, with blood draws months apart, that were both normal. Now in 2021 I'm high again. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This may be due to infection/inflammation.

other investigates should be looked at for blood work and function of organs.

I would suggest to keep a daily diary and put down what you eat and the actives you do also how you feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.