Low Vitamin D (blood tests) & GS (urgent, help needed)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I have been diagnosed w/ GS & low Vitamin D (10.8) I have tried to take Vit D supplement. I took 1500IU/day for 4 days; as a result, I couldn't sleep for a couple of days and I was sweating and shaking. Yesterday I upped my intake to 3000IU/day, and today I feel numbness in my fingers and water retention (I feel bloated.) Since my deficiency is pretty severe (<11,) i have to deal w/ it somehow, but supplements only make it worse. i have read a few articles that mention that it is not good to take vit d when diagnosed w/ gs. is there an actual scientific proof of that? has anyone else experienced sth similar? doctors, do you see connection here between my reaction to vit d supplement and gs? i certainly feel worse after taking it... but, if my level is so low, what should i do? perhaps lower intake? i am at a loss, please help.

i="" have="" to="" deal="" w/="" it="" somehow,="" but="" supplements="" only="" make="" it="" worse.="" i="" have="" read="" a="" few="" articles="" that="" mention="" that="" it="" is="" not="" good="" to="" take="" vit="" d="" when="" diagnosed="" w/="" gs.="" is="" there="" an="" actual="" scientific="" proof="" of="" that?="" has="" anyone="" else="" experienced="" sth="" similar?="" doctors,="" do="" you="" see="" connection="" here="" between="" my="" reaction="" to="" vit="" d="" supplement="" and="" gs?="" i="" certainly="" feel="" worse="" after="" taking="" it...="" but,="" if="" my="" level="" is="" so="" low,="" what="" should="" i="" do?="" perhaps="" lower="" intake?="" i="" am="" at="" a="" loss,="" please="" help.="">

>

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Juliata. My son has GB syndrome and vitamin d deficiencies. Tha doctor have him supliment's to take twice a week one Monday and one Friday as to much in one go and for long periods is very harmfull to the body. Once his levels are up he is to take a multi vitamin and be out doors as much has possible. 
    • Posted

Hi, Kay! I am sorry to hear that about your son sad I believe that the more we raise this issue the more attention (and possible answers) we shall get from scientific society. I wonder what is your son's age and D level? I will contact endocrinologist, then, b/c my attempts to adjust D supplement on my own proves to be fruitless.

• Posted

I took my son to Hydes Herbal Clinic in Leicester to see Dr Serene Foster. She would be worth a visit! I have 2 sons who suffer with GS. I am convinced that the problem lies with the liver and a deficency which affects the neuro transmitters. He ended up with chronic depression which led to him having to go on anti depressants. This in turn didn't help his liver. After 6 months he is much improved and diet and lifestyle is very important.  
  • Posted

Hi Juliata!

Apart from being outdoors in the sun as much as possible walking or doing other physical activities, it is also important to eat a diet rich in vitamin D. Oily fish is a good choice: salmon, mackerel, sardines, seabass, tuna. They are all rich in vitamin D. You need to have at least 2 portions of this type of fish per week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.