Low white blood cell count and stomach/abdominal pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out possible causes of my symptoms. I've seen different doctors for the past couple of months and have yet to figure out what is wrong. I started crossfit in May and have lost twenty pounds until my doctor advised me to stop exercising completely in late October due to much fatigue I have been experiencing, and continue to experience today, until we find out what is going on. I am a 22 year old male, weighing approximately 158 and am 6 feet tall.

In mid-July I was started to feel a lot of discomfort in my stomach and abdominal area along with nausea, bloating, and constipation. It got worse after eating. All the symptoms left in early August but then came back in early September. So, I went to my family care doctor and he ex-rayed my stomach to show that there was air in my colon. He then referred me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist checked for blood in my feces and there was none and he did a CBC and CMP blood test. The only thing that came back wrong was a low white blood cell count. So for the next month, my family care doctor ordered three more CBC tests, along with a SED Rate test, Peripheral Smear (immaturity not observed), CRP C-REACTIVE PROTEIN, Parvovirus, IRON AND TBC, HIV, HEPATITIS PANEL ACUTE, EPSTEIN-BARR VIRUS, and COMP METABOLIC PANEL blood tests. Everything was normal and good except that my white blood cell count values were low from 2.8-3.8 during that time, a high monocyte percentage of 11.8, and it was noted I have bilirubinemia. Through much of October and early November my symptoms went away again except for the fatigue but now I am experiencing much of the same symptoms again.

As of last week I was referred to a hematologist and he took my blood in four or five tubes. I go back in mid-December to see what he says.

The hematologist also asked me to go to a gi doctor while I wait so I did today. My gastrointestinal doctor said it was mostly out of his hands because all my blood tests only show a low white blood cell count. So, he put me on two medicines to help me use the restroom (#2) more frequently.

Could anyone lead me to possible causes of the low white blood cell count with the stomach/abdominal pain and the fatigue? I am quite nervous about what it could be because at this point I have no clue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My daughter,18, has been having similar problems compounded by a low WBC.  Just starting on this journey and I feel a bit overwhelmed.  She has had an irritated stomach on and off for about a year.  Symptoms are gas, bloating, pain after eating ( especially a large meal), pain can get really localized and it can be all over her abdomen, nausea, loss of appetite.  We found the Low WBC when we brought her to the ER to rule out gallstones.  Now we are off to GI clinic and more blood work follow up.  She also has a swollen lymph on her neck.  Advise?
    • Posted

Hi Amy, 

My son’s symptoms started 2 years ago after a bad stomach bug. He has dropped over 100 pounds. ( He was chubby so he did need to lose weight) he has had upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, his liver and gall bladder ultrasound, catscans and biopsies. 

He also went to a hematologist and had tests due to his low white blood cell count. 

All of the tests were negative. The hematologist said the low white blood cell count could be from taking Nexium.

He had the exact same symptoms as your daughter.  I have heard many cases of this among 18-22 year olds. It makes me wonder.

Did your daughters symptoms begin after a stomach flu?

• Posted

hello Tina

my symptoms with wbc low started also after food poison or stomach flu episode

have you been able to find the cause I hope everyone is better and recovering

• Posted

My child has been having stomach pains and sickness and has been having low white cells for the last few months now and theyve been ruling things out but still no answers which is so frustrating. Any andvice on what youve all been told. Hes lost a lot of weight too. 
    • Posted

After many tests they ruled out crohns, diverticulitis, colitis, leukemia, celiacs and diabetes. It has been shown that his digestion is extremely slow. He takes 2 T of Metamucil at night and eats small frequent meals.

This has helped a lot. Still wondering what caused this.

• Posted

Theyve done those tests on my child and have ruled out most of them. Its so frustrating not knowing the cause. its awful watching a child be ill but seems quite healthy. I'm hoping to get some answers this week fingers crossed.

• Posted

i'm sorry to see this, me too, many stomach issues low white blood count lost a lot of weight and fatigue

I know this is an older post But I wanted to know if you had found the cause

thank you in advance!

• Edited

Have been told that white blood cells of 2.8 is nothing to worry about and they thinks that its acid reflux.
    • Posted

Pretty much the same story with my son, but he still has tummy issues
    • Posted

I've been told to take him back for more bloods to be lestes in a few weeks. I'm hoping these meds will work but I'm not 100% convinced with their decision though. If je gets ill in the mean time I will be taking him straight back. also waiting to be seen at the hospital again for further tests.

• Posted

Mine is 4.8 I also have acid reflux ,ibs and sibo . I was on a PPI .

• Edited

I also got low white blood cell count this time around last blood test 8-14-2018. It was fine in January15-2018 and now its low .

I been diagnosed with IBS and sibo .

I had gastritis and took a PPI from October to June . Wonder if it has anything to do with it ?

I had nausea, bloating and constipation. Since my gastritis healed I no longer have nausea but still have occasion bloating and constipation on and off.

I am in a low fodmap diet for my IBS.

Please if anyone gets an answer keep me informed.

• Posted

My son started taking this and it has helped tremendously 

/Metoclopramide

• Posted

Dilady,

Wondering if you have found any answers with low white blood cells and has diet continued to help? I am having similar symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.