Low white blood cell count and stomach/abdominal pain

Posted , 23 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out possible causes of my symptoms. I've seen different doctors for the past couple of months and have yet to figure out what is wrong. I started crossfit in May and have lost twenty pounds until my doctor advised me to stop exercising completely in late October due to much fatigue I have been experiencing, and continue to experience today, until we find out what is going on. I am a 22 year old male, weighing approximately 158 and am 6 feet tall.

In mid-July I was started to feel a lot of discomfort in my stomach and abdominal area along with nausea, bloating, and constipation. It got worse after eating. All the symptoms left in early August but then came back in early September. So, I went to my family care doctor and he ex-rayed my stomach to show that there was air in my colon. He then referred me to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist checked for blood in my feces and there was none and he did a CBC and CMP blood test. The only thing that came back wrong was a low white blood cell count. So for the next month, my family care doctor ordered three more CBC tests, along with a SED Rate test, Peripheral Smear (immaturity not observed), CRP C-REACTIVE PROTEIN, Parvovirus, IRON AND TBC, HIV, HEPATITIS PANEL ACUTE, EPSTEIN-BARR VIRUS, and COMP METABOLIC PANEL blood tests. Everything was normal and good except that my white blood cell count values were low from 2.8-3.8 during that time, a high monocyte percentage of 11.8, and it was noted I have bilirubinemia. Through much of October and early November my symptoms went away again except for the fatigue but now I am experiencing much of the same symptoms again.

As of last week I was referred to a hematologist and he took my blood in four or five tubes. I go back in mid-December to see what he says.

The hematologist also asked me to go to a gi doctor while I wait so I did today. My gastrointestinal doctor said it was mostly out of his hands because all my blood tests only show a low white blood cell count. So, he put me on two medicines to help me use the restroom (#2) more frequently.

Could anyone lead me to possible causes of the low white blood cell count with the stomach/abdominal pain and the fatigue? I am quite nervous about what it could be because at this point I have no clue. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi has anyone had any advance on this as some of the replies were 3 years ago im a 19 year old female and ive been having the same stomach problems and a low wbc does anyone know what it could be i was extremely worried it could be crohns disease but i have bad health anxiety so im hoping its just me overtjinking, i was thinking perhaps ibs, since having a lactose free diet and reducing alcohol, gluten, fizzydrinks, beans i have felt alot better

• Posted

Hey Tia

I am 22 and have the same problems since i was 19, right now i'm on 10mg of an antidepressant that is supposed to help with the stomach pain. I tried gluten free, reducing alcohol and no fizzy drinks but nothing has helped. I got a MRI, upper endo and colonsocopy they found a polyp but nothing wrong besides mild gastritis.

• Posted

hi, did you have any luck with your wbc count? i am having similar situation.

• Posted

hello i' m going thru the same

I was wondering if you took the antidpresant, and if so if it helped

thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.