Lower Abdominal discomfort

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the last 3 months I have had lower stomach issues. It started lower left, and has moved to lower right. Sometimes the discomfort has moved to upper right. It has gotten no better and no worse since it began. It started with a bout of constipation and has been like this since. Some days is worse than others it depends on what I eat, and have been keeping a food journal so I know what to avoid. My stools are, if this makes sense, kinda flat but not like ribbon flat, just maybe flat on one side. Truthfully they may have been like that for years, I have only recently started paying attention, and taking pictures. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago so I know what that is all about, but this is different than what it has been in the past. I have tried multiple supplements, I have talked to my doctor who wanted to schedule an upper endoscopy, which I have dismissed as this is 100% a lower issue in my opinion. Last time I went to see my GP he told me he thought I had GERD, which yes I do, however this is all to do with something lower. Here is a list of what I know or think I know.

1. Stomach discomfort for 3/4 months and it moves around.

2. It's no better or worse today than 3/4 months ago when it started.

3. Some foods make it worse, but that is becoming controlled through food journal.

4. I drink one or two carbonated beverages a day ( I know I shouldn't and am trying to quit, I did quit for a week during this time, no change in stomach)

5. Stool floats sometimes, sinks sometimes, but it smells BAD all the time, gas is also generally bad when it occurs.

I am planning on calling my GP in the next couple of weeks and seeing if I can get an appointment with a gastroenterologist. I don't think this is anything bad or it would have changed over the past several months, at least that is my feeling.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi..

Try to drink plenty of water everyday at least 2 to 2.5 l a day

Please drink 2 glasses of water right after you wake up

Avoid coffee..

If you have some constipation please make a powder of flex seeds and take one spoon with warm water everyday before you go to poo in the morning..

Regards

• Posted

I have increased my water intake to probably around that. I thankfully don't drink coffee and seriously need to quit the carbonated soda. Thank you !

• Posted

If you had IBS once before how did you cure it? Sounds as if it may have returned.
    • Posted

I never "cured" it I just learned to live with it, but it was never discomforting 24/7

• Posted

I have a hiatal hernia plus I have acid reflux disease very bad and I have irritable bowel syndrome and it makes me sick to my stomach it hurts so bad that I want to cry i often feel like throwing up with it its so bad
  • Posted

I would advise you call and get an appt. with a gastroenterologist asap.  He or she is apt to say what test you need.  Pain is a signal that something is not right.  If I were in your position I would insist on a complete work up of your stomach, intestines, gall bladder and of course any type of hernia.  Good luck and keep us posted as to the outcome.
  • Posted

Sounds like an IBS flare up.  When my IBS began, my flare up lasted three and a half months but got no better or worse during that time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.