Lower and higher back discomfort

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

for quite some time now i have been experiencing lower and higher back discomfort. i have to have a MRI Scan soon as i keep getting lower leg pains when going to gym, or walking at a faster speed or walking up a incline.

also i do have a leg discrepancy on one leg which i am not sure if this is the reason i am experiencing the back discomfort.

my physiotherapist has been seeing me for a little while now and thinks i have something called 'Tibial Stress Syndrome'. not sure if my back discomfort is in relation this.

also i find when i am walking around sometimes the lower part of my back clicks.

i have been to doctors about my back and they have examined me and said there was no issues with my back, and everything was normal, and the clicks coming from my lower part of back will go away within time.

im sure if they say i am all ok it has to be. just a little worried.

Anything i can do to make things better

Ben

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Just wondering if you are a young man? My son had back pain when about 15 and he also has hyper mobility and the doctor thought this could be part of the issue.

I had a back injury and have chronic fatigue syndrome but, I also have leg pain on inclines like you and don't have any reason for this. my back clicks also but so does my neck and shoulders. Not all the time. I have had full body mri, lower back, neck and head. I've also had nerve conduction study on my legs. everything normal but, I still get these symptoms.

Frustrating stuff!

What I do for these issues is rest and use a hot water bottle for my back and massage my legs. My son had to change how he carried his school bag and rest more. He's 23 now.

Beverley

• Posted

Hello Beverly,

thanks so much for your message.

yes i am young, i am 21 years old. i am not too sure wether this issue with my back is linked with my low muscle tone which my mother has always said i have had from a very young age, not sure if this is fully the case as my mother had a lot of control over me and made me think i had conditions which i don't believe i have, which with all how shes treated me has badly damaged me mentally, and made me feel so not worth nothing, especially with not having anyone around who seems to care.

The thing is for quite some time now been getting this back comfort and lower leg pain in the front of my legs. i would say I've probably had this for 1 year now and has got a lot worse by getting older.

Hope things with you and your son are better than what they was .

BEN 😃

• Posted

Hi Ben,

As you are a young man there is much more chance of this going on it's own accord as in my son's case.

I'm sorry to hear you have an unsupportive mother who you feel has damaged you badly mentally. Are you living alone now?

Also, are you in the UK? How long is it to your MRI? Did the physio give you any exercises that may help?

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley,

i hope this is the case, and i am just experiencing the discomfort and the clicking in my back because i'm still growing, but thats only me guessing.

yes i am living alone, and from the UK, which to a certain degree i love, as got my own freedom etc, but then incredibly lonely, nobody who wants to understand, or be there for me to support me through this horrible time which i dont know how i am going to get over, been two years now since left my mother. sorry i am going off subject completely here, we are ment to be talking about 'backs lol' , and here i am giving my problems to you.

My MRI Scan i have tomorrow which is only for my lower legs to investigate to see if there is any inflammation in my legs to the reason im getting these pains, to then hopefully rule out and get a resolution to ease or get rid of the pain.

The physio did give me some exercises which i did everytime i went to the gym, and even when had a minute at home i would do them, but was doing absolutely nothing....

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Hope the mri goes ok and you get some answers soon. Know this may be unrelated but has anyone mentioned shin splints? They can be really painful. I also hope the back issues are linked to growing still. I used to take a calcium and magnesium suppliment to help with bone and muscle health but I presently take feroglobin which has a mixture of vitamins and minerals.

It can be hard for people to understand when you're in pain and It can feel like you're really alone in that. I know the NHS has pain management groups and think the route into that is still via your GP. There's also IAPT within the NHS that can help with pain management through CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) may be an option? I attended an exercise class for just back pain through the nhs too. It had gentle exercises as well as core strength exercises. I think that it helped in part.

I know it's hard to deal with the pain sometimes and I am just wondering what you do that you enjoy without pain? like any programmes on Tv, YouTube or games ? They can be great distractions. Also, can you do any exercises on your upper body that don't cause pain?

Hope that helps

Beverley

• Posted

Hello Beverly,

unfortunately due to how bad my anxiety has been lately The MRI Scan had to be re- scheduled.

hopefully when i attend in a few weeks time they will be able to rule out whats going on if there is anything.

in answer to your question about splints, no i havent tried them. are they worth trying do you think.?

people not understanding is not to do with the pain, its to do with my up bringing as a child. To be honest the pain / discomfort isnt a issue up to the issues with my mental welbeing i am experiencing day in day out, with still no resolution to come by. incredibly difficult, almost feels impossible to come by when know one seems interested, and don't have a father or mother to guide me.

hope you have had a lovely xmas and hasn't been to manic cooking, sorting things out etc.. lol ..

BEN

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear that your anxiety has been much higher recently and you didn't have the MRI. Could someone go with you to the scan?

Regarding shin splints, its actually a condition that happens sometimes when exerting too much pressure on the shins. That's why I wondered if anyone had mentioned that to you.

It can be hard to feel heard and understood when childhood experience doesn't reflect that. it may seem an odd question but what do you do that nourishes you? A few years ago I would probably have thought it was a silly question or have struggled to answer it. Now I quite like the idea of it, what do I do that's good for me that replenishes me a little etc It can be something you eat, listen to, read, watch, anything that nourishes. For instance, I'm vegetarian and find veggie sushi makes me feel nourished. Swimming used to too or yoga. sometimes just laying in bed with my eyes closed and my arms and legs resting and just not sure thinking can help me too.

Have you ever thought about therapy for the anxiety? I only mention it because I have had it for PTSD and it helped with that.

My Christmas was good Thankyou, a long day but it went well. I hope yours went ok too.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

It wasn't because i was afraid to have the MRI Scan done. Lately i have been staying awake with things going round and round my head to early hours in the morning, so over slept the alarm as been so exhausted and tired.

sorry about my wording. not very clear a tall.

no one has mentioned shin Splints to me. they think i have a condition called tibial stress syndrome, which causes this lower leg pain when rushing or pushing myself during exercises.

the people who are in my life know exactly what i've been through in my past but i don't think they seem to see how much it has impacted me now being 21 years of age.

thats a new word for me to learn lol. does that mean to keep a good feeling or to add something to food? so bad with retaining infomation lol.

i haven't really found anything that nourishes me, as my head is constantly going round in circles, and just find my brain never switches off.

i have had CBT, not sure if you have heard of this type of threapy. but didnt go to plan as expected it too, as my problems that need rectifying with my past.

Happy New Year. hope your new year was pleasant.

glad you had a good Christmas

Ben 😉

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Ah, get you now. So your sleeping pattern stopped you attending the MRI. You could ask for a late appointment? I am sure one of mine was about 5.30pm? It was an outdoor one which was strange. I was told you can book ones to suit you so you could ask to do this too.

I do know CBT yes. It is not for past trauma you are correct. It could help with the sleeping though if you felt like giving it a go. I very rarely have the issue you describe and so my way of dealing with it may not be the same for you. Usually, my sleeping is affected by my temperature and an inability to move to get get warm so, I tend to try to make sure I am warm and relaxed so a bath or a shower might help. lavender is relaxing too. One thing that can help is to write things down in an attempt to stop them going around in your head. reading before bed can help as can having low lighting and coming off any screen devices at least an hour before.

With the idea of doing nourishing things, your brain doesn't have to switch off as it were, just experience it differently? It takes a little practice I guess.

Happy New Year too! How did you celebrate? mine was a quiet one but still ok.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.