Lower back pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I'm just looking for advice on people's experiences and knowledge on pain relief for severe back pain I have 3 herniated discs l4/l5/s1 and haemangiomas on t12/l1 with pain running from buttocks to top of shoulder blades and down right arm I'm trying not to have the surgery can't afford the 12 weeks off that's expected and am trying new pain relief and am after advice from others what works for them I've been on palexia Panedine forte endone and lyrica going back Friday to renew meds and wondering your thoughts people

Regards Wayne

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have successfully avoided any surgeries on my spine now for over 12 years by being in a pain clinic.  I have had just about everything they do in the way of nerve blocks, epidural steroids, radiofrequency blocks, facet joint blocks, SI joint blocks, physical therapy, deep tissue massage, trigger point injections, spinal cord stimulator, TENS unit, meditation, narcotics, muscle relaxants, anti-seizure meds, anti-depressants.  The only thing they do that I haven't had is epidural drug injection.  I have done all this because I was also an anesthesiologist and I used to give anesthesia for back surgeries and I was amazed that anyone could ever walk after anything that traumatic, seriously.  I will have to think very long and hard before I will agree to any spinal surgery.  I am very close right now to being referred for my neck, but I am working hard on trying to talk him into a second spinal cord stimulator instead LOL.  That's how bad I don't want spinal surgery.

Lynn

• Posted

How long ago did you have the Stimulator?  They have made improvements in them recently. Good luck! 
    • Posted

I honestly don't blame you, surgery scares the life out of me now and will do anything to avoid it.

can I just say be careful of epidural injections, now I'm no expert but if they hit the wrong area it can result in something called adhesive arachnoiditis and this is something no one wants, if you havnt heard of it please google it

• Posted

Hi

I agree with you about trying everything before surgery but am confused -

you say no epidural - what is the difference between epidural injection and facet. 

Thank you

• Posted

Faucets are the joints in between the vertebrae that act like a cushion, when these are injected it reduces any inflammation that may be present, an epidural injection goes into the epidural space that surrounds the spinal cord, they both have risks but I think when your injecting into the epidural space the risk is greater and can cause this incurable disease 😊

• Posted

As a test, and after my Stimulater had been in place about 8 months, my Rep suggested I turn it off. With it off I had a much better idea of my pain level. I could tell my pain had decreased about 20%-30% with it on. Not as good as I hoped but better then nothing. 
  • Posted

I have lived with back pain for several years, medications can only go so far. I finallly had surgery  recovering from a 3 level lumbar fusion. Fusion sugery is not what it used to be.

Many people have successful fusion surgeries. You may need to reconsider your surgcial options. 

• Posted

I've been back to a different doctor had my meds changed to lyrica 150 mgs endone and targin slow release going for another ct scan I'm in Australia to I might add different hospital set up at 38 yrs old living in extreme pain barely being able to work and now seem to have no down stairs that wants to work if you know what I mean there comes a time when you think surgery is the only option 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.