Lower Back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had lower back pain for years which has got worse as I have got older.  My MRI scan showed osteoarthritis, they describe it as general wear and tear and I told them I couldn't walk very well without getting severe pain and they said my wear and tear was the reason why.

Does anyone have severe problems walking because of back pain?

If so, how do you cope,with getting around.

I also have muscle weakness in my thighs, but they said that is nothing to do with your back.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Philippa.

Yes it's quite common for walking to aggravate the back because it involves the muscles in your back and it is an extension exercise. I basically manage by parking as close to things that I am going to as possible and getting all my shopping delivered. I have thought about getting a scooter but sitting aggravates my sciatic nerve so I can't win either way. 

• Posted

Hi Gabriella

i have not got a car at the moment as I am out of work and cannot afford one and even when I do get back to work, I am not sure I am going to buy one because it hurts to grip things with my hands, so I wouldn't be confident to hold the steering wheel, I think a mobility scooter would be much better, so I am going to get one of those.  At the moment I just catch the bus, even if it's only one stop, as it cuts out a walking distance.  Fortunately I have not got anything wrong with the nerves in my back, just chronic back pain that makes it difficult to walk.  I am sorry to hear about your problems, you sound like you have got it really bad.  Thankyou for sharing with me.

• Posted

I tell them that the muscle weakness in my thighs is due to my lessened walking ability and lack of exercise due to my back problem.
    • Posted

Yes, that's a good point, I never thought of that.

Cheers!

• Posted

I have had lower back pain for 13 years. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't walk more than a few minutes. So I committed myself to a year's worth of physical therapy. Not only was I able to walk again but I actually completed a 5K. Then things that took a turn for the worst and now I can hardly walk it all. In fact I walk out to the chicken coop in the backyard and have a chair to sit down on to rest my back before I can make the trip back into the house. I'm unable to do much of anything that requires standing or walking. I tried going back to physical therapy and was unable to change anything. I think that eventually the back just gets so bad that there's no turning it around. And of course age has a lot to do with it as well. I am ten years older I was the first time. And as far as the thighs go I don't agree with your doctor. I think that is a direct result of your lower back. Even if it's nothing more than unable to walk so the muscles in your thighs have weaken it's still a cause of your back pain.

• Posted

Brilliant! I am so glad I joined this group.  

Thanks for sharing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.