Lower back pain after knee replacement

Posted , 24 users are following.

6 months after total knee replacement and have this lower back pain that is worse in the morning , can feel it when I turn over in bed at night. Goes off a bit during the day but not getting any better . Anyone else experience thisĀ 

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I had 2 TKR one on each knee and I'm in the same boat as u all I was told I've degenerative osteoarthritis of the spine so guys I know what u mean. I'm seeing my surgeon on 3rd Dec 2019

• Edited

We ALL have disk degeneration as we get older. Think...200 years ago, no one had spine problems because no one lived past 55. The human spine has not evolved to last 60-70-80 years. Having back issues is absolutely inevitable.

I always use my chiropractor to make sure that my hips and spine are aligned and that my SI joints are not locked. That's where most of the pain comes from. If chiro, PT and pain shots ("the ladder of care") don't work, then you see a neurosurgeon who should order a CT/Myelogram with contrast...the "gold standard" spine test. Only then can the neuro see exactly what's wrong and devise a treatment plan.

The simplest fix is a decompressive laminectomy where the surgeon cleans out all the "junk" impinging on the nerves. This is a quick, same-day procedure and gets rid of the worst of the pain instantly with the remaining discomfort, from the surrounding inflamed nerves, subsiding in a week or so. Very successful, quick op. My doc also removed a bone spur plus shaved back the calcified disk to completely free up the nerve roots.

Some type of fusion would be a more drastic approach if the neuro decided that you really need one. The simplest is a Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF or XLIF or OLIF) where they go in from your side and slip in an expandable device that pushes the vertebrae apart and frees up the nerves. One overnight, no brace, no rehab...miracle op. But then there's the typical TLIF fusion where they go in from your back and insert rails and screws. 10 days in the hospital, months of rehab. Ugh...

How do I know this? Because I've had all of these ops with one more to go on January 22. It's payback for 45 years of playing hockey.

In the end, climb the ladder and if it ends up with a neurosurgeon, find a really good one who especially knows the LLIF procedure. Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF Technique" for a great animation and then "Globus ELSA" to see how the device works. Good luck...

• Posted

Nope... My chiropractor does all my non-invasive manipulations. Successful for decades...except for the bone spur at L4/L5 incident. I "climb the ladder of care"...chiro to PT to pain shots to neurosurgeon. Sometimes, ya gotta shove the orthopedic surgeon in there if you're dealing with hip pain.

• Posted

Thank you Chico! for good advice. Im 60 , never had back problems too much a these years but now? since age,knee replacement and tried a leg press machine. Its bad. Also ? i wonder vecause my other knee is so bad and needs to get done, would that help straigten me out? Greg

• Posted

Hi Mary, On top of osteo, I also have Rheumatoid in my neck for sure! Not sure where to turn for relief. Taking prednisone now until my Humira kicks in but afraid this won't be enough for the lower back pain. Anyone ideas please I am desperate. Thanks..the revision was a quicker recovery for me than the total replacement?? Who knew? I thought it would be worse.

• Posted

Hi Chico, Yes we are all slowly deteriorating as we age. I too now have horrible lower back pain after revision of the original 2007 knee, 2014 tibial baseplate blew, split and again 2021 leading to the revision in February. The knee is great! I have rheumatoid on top of osteo and not sure where to turn. My c1 c2 are so mangled,I've been told if I fall I could become a Quad and not to fall!! Ha! I have trained horses, show jumping all my life,but my KNEE DR. warned me again,so this timeI am listening. I do have an advance Directive DNR in case I fall just walking. But this lower back pain is new and really slowing me down! Anymore advice please? Thanks in advance Susan

• Posted

Chico

Seems like you've been through a lot and with a known etiology

But there are some on this forum who had not experienced back symptoms prior to TKR so we have an association between the two

You are well informed about your procedure history and obviously a good self advocate

i wish you well in your recovery from all these proceedures

• Posted

Hi Jenny...I'm much in a similar place as you! I've had lower back issues for years however this was hardly considered when my knee problems begun. Consequently after countless attempts with the knees I had bilateral TKR 3 months ago. My back pain is now worse, debilitating in the mornings. My knees have rehabbed well but they are also now being affected and I continue to walk around like the tin man!

Have seen physios, chiros, exercise physiologists, exercising daily, pool walking/swimming...nothing helping yet!!!

• Posted

Hi, How are you doing today? I can barley walk. sitting is ok. what have you done to get better. thank you for any advice. Greg

• Posted

I suffer from pains in the neck and lower back, and it is due to spending many hours sitting in the same chair. I went to Dr. Mitra at BH Acuhealth she recommended acupuncture for my lower back pain. I no longer suffer any back pain, I have been pain free for more than a year and I couldn't be more grateful.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I had total knee revision, .This is the 3rd time going in this knee. I am now experiencing debilitating lower back pain 5 months out. Twice now my tibial baseplate broke in a SMITH NEPHEW GENESIS 2. Last time they simply replaced the tibial baseplate. This time a new femoral component and baseplate was installed, the tibial stem was intact from the original 2007 replacement.at new knee!! But my back is unbearable!! It tried to get infected so the Dr had me rest and prop for 3 mos. * do have full range of motion , but my back is killing me!

• Posted

I have almost exactly the same thing. Except that I am 19 months out from my TKR THIS problem started almost exactly one year after the knee replacement. I never had back issues before and always kept in great shape now i am limited as to what i can do though I stretch and try to exercize every day

my left leg is over a centimeter longer than my right as determined by a CT scan Since the TKR I have torn the achilles tendon on that side as well as developed an inguinal hernia on that side and I have a persistent cramp in my hamstring only on the left side when walking

The orthopedic surgeons don't include this in informed consent as far as i know

• Posted

I had low back pain caused by a poorly done epidural pre-surgery.. it seems to be going away slowly.

• Posted

I ended up getting a blood patch to fix the lumbar puncture from the epidural. I had massive headaches, back pain, hearing loss and nausea. vomited for the first time since I was a kid on the way to the ER on the 4th of July. Good times!

I should have refused the epidural but they said it was routine.

I do not like people sticking needles in my spinal column.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.