Lower back pain and shoulder pain and NOW sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi , 3 years ago i fell and landed on a plant pot hurting my back only bruising but, it was ok a couple of months later got back pain then nerve issues in buttocks and legs and pelvic area (tingling, burnig, feeling wet on my skin. i was referred for an MRI have a bulging disc L1 and I ended up on Amitriptyline for 2 years, i tried to come off this drug, it took 11 months to get off of 10 mg (Horrendous drug). Anyway finally got off Amitriptyline in December 2017 and have had nothing but back pain since. My lower back  stiffened up on sitting in December, could hardly move, i started physio  8th january, this helped a little then i started with spasms in my left calf and back and left thigh. My physio continued and i developed sciatica 8 weeks ago even though i was still having physio. my physio ended 20th June and i have been back to my GP several times over the last 6 months, and I have had many drugs  naproxen, diclofenac, tramadol, co codamol, diazapam, i am currently on naproxen oh and lansoperazole  to protect my tummy, i went back to my GP 5 weeks ago as my physio was coming to an end and the sciatic pain which, developed during the physio was getting worse. My GP has referred me for more physio!!!! I rang the  GP again today as the burning in my calfs yes both calfs now is horrific i cry every evening, My back is sore, both buttocks my coccyx area and left foot just are sore burning twitching. The GP simply said try Amitriptyline, i said no it took 11 months to get off it and it is clearly masking a problem, he said try gabapentin again i have read up on the drug said no. He then said try a antidepressant, i again said no they are all going to mask a problem i have had for a long time i need referring to find out what is wrong . He said well you have physio again in 3 weeks they can refer you if necessary, i hung up. I am feeling frustrated  and worry how long i can tolerate this pain, the naproxen helps a little, the leg, butt and calf pain and burning does not go away and is getting worse not better. I started yoga last week and walk my dog 2 x every day, walking is fine and so is laying down it is sitting and standing still or bending forward which, causes me sharp pain, but i have a dull ache at all times. I work full time and am worried this is going to make me go off sick again. Any ideas what to do? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could help You but I’ve been suffering the same symptoms as You! I’m so very glad You said NO to gabapentin as I truly believe it would make everything worse. It’s been a long hard withdrawal period for Me. I do NOT understand why It’s prescribe it so much for everything. I think mine must be caused by a nerve. Trying a nerve block next week! I really need Neurologist as Neurologist seem to know that gabapentin isn’t  answer for everything!!! Wow! It made My condition worse!!  I will be following this discussion  to see if anybody knows!!! Mine has been going on for 5 years and like You.  I can’t sit and walk very long. Laying down is better but I can’t just lay down all the wtime. I can’t work as sitting down is so painful!!! Thanks for discussion!! Rener

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.