Lower back pain just from standing around

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about some lower back pain I've been experiencing.

Usually, it's when I've been standing around a bunch (or walking).

I don't have any issues if I get on my bike, go to the gym, have a full workout, etc.

It might just be a "things need to warm up" kind of thing, or possibly a postural thing.

The back pain itself is more of a discomfort/dull pain, and leaning over forward to stretch it out feels more intense than the back pain for a moment, but kind of relieving too once I stretch into it.. kind of like if you've been looking to one side for a long time, and you turn your head to the other side just to move it around.

Is this a sign of bad posture that I need to address, lest I create permanent damage to my spine over the next 10 years, maybe from naturally over-arching my lumbar?

p.s. I've scheduled an appointment with a PT, but wanted to get the hive-mind's perspective too.

In general, I have some amount of hypermobility (most noticeable in my shoulders, which dislocate super-easily, if in a precarious position like attempting an overhead squat), and some knee pain... I wonder if that's all linked, or if this is separate... It'd be good to know if there's an overall thing that's exacerbating this, or if the back issue is isolated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever been diagnosed with ehlers-danlos syndrome? One of the telltale signs of that disease is hypermobility at the joints. I don't know if it would affect your back but I would think so. You said that you don't experience the pain when you are working out but I wonder if it's happening after your workout like the next day for instance. It does that with me. I have a terrible back and have had for 13 years. The problem is I don't feel the pain when I'm actually doing the bad deed it comes on later on.

• Posted

Oh interesting! I would expect I'm more borderline on EDS (unless there's varieties that affect some parts a lot more than others).

Have you had any successful treatment of it?

• Posted

I don't have it, thank goodness. I just know of it from other people with this condition. It is a serious disease and you should see your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi Jack, it sounds to me like tightness or compression building up. You compress your discs when you walk and stand around so it could be as you say you need to warm up, mobilise your spine to avoid tiightness - do some gentlre cardio and then cat/cow stretch, childs pose etc. if you google spine mobility you will find information. I also hang from a beam by my arms and that decompresses my spine.

• Posted

Thank you! I'll work some spine mobility stuff into my routine. I'm trying to come up with a good morning stretch routine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.