Lower back pain need help!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My back pain started about a year ago.. I thought it was from my old mattress so I went out and bought a new one. Well as you can see it has not helped any.

My back pain is in my lower back..its pretty constant and worse when I am up and walking around. After a while it starts to hurt while walking which is why I now avoid shopping for long periods of time. The pain radiates to my hips and I feel aching in the front of both legs. When I sit at times it's bothersome too. Sometimes I have to position myself just right and other times it doesn't bother me at all. I can bend over without much pain at all, however when I arch my back or twist I can feel the pain. I have googled to know end and honestly from what I have read I'm leaning more towards the sacroiliac joint.. But at times it could be a disc issue. If I am standing and raise my leg to rest on something that's higher than waist level the pain gets worse. I have a Dr appointment soon but thought I would see if anyone has any input as to what it may be? Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think it is very difficult to diagnose someone with back pain. The spine is complex with nerves and discs. You need a proffessional diagnoses. I have suffered with lower back pain for 20 years now and mine is Osteoarthritis. Symptoms can also vary from one person to another. All i can say is pace yourself and don't do more than you can bear. I find stretching my spine helps. Sitting is uncomfortable most of the time for me, most chairs i cannot even sit in.

I just wanted to say that i do understand the difficulties and how debilitating back pain can be.  

I wish you the best in finding what the problem is and hopefully treatments to follow. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth I appreciate the response I know it's very hard to diagnose without the appropriate tests .. I am gonna schedule an appointment soon to get it checked out.
  • Posted

Hi I emphasise and I could have written your post.  My back is exactly the same but I have had mine for many years.   I have been to the doctors several times over the years but all they do is mutter about disc problems if you are over 40 which is a natural part of aging,  shove some painkillers at me,  and tell me to self refer to physio.   I have been there before and they just gave me exercises and say if they are not helping after 2 weeks go back.  They have never given be an x-ray but I did have a private one back in 1999,  and it showed my lowest disc has worn away and this is what is causing the pain. 

I have found an osteopath helpful but unfortunely you have to pay.  x

• Posted

Thank you hypercat for the response I appreciate it. It's very aggravating dealing with this everyday and the fact that it's in my hips and legs scares me and I'm actually afraid to find out what it is. I am sorry you have been dealing with this for so long. I wish we could clap our hands and it would go away. 😢
    • Posted

Hi sorry I did think after that my post was very negative.  I hope you get a better response than I do.   If the pain is going down your leg towards you feet there is a good chance it is sciatica.  The sciatica nerve runs down the front of your leg then goes round to the side and down to your feet.   The main treatment for this is painkillers as it normally clears up on it's own - eventually.   It can take quite a while to go though.   Good luck and let me know how you get on please.  x
  • Posted

Hi

I have had lower back pain for almost 6 months now, doctors are only helpful for pain meds or ship you off to physio.

I took the pain meds for a few weeks whilst they helped they did not get to the root of the problem. Physio would take 6 weeks to get referred and get a consultation - Not happy with that.

I then decided to take matters into my own hands and went for a free 45 minute consultation with an osteopath and you know what it was the best thing I had done, 4 months in and my pain is under control and I am not relying on the pain meds hardly at all.

Having said that an osteopath isnt cheap but is so worth while find a good one and listen to what they recommend and I promise it will work. I said nothing other than I had lower back pain told her where and she examined my back and said oh i see what the issue is you have Scolosis bare in mind i did not tell her that when I told her what my problem was. They are very helpful and now with regular treatments from her I am not in as much pain and it is more controlled than going to physio!

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.