Lower back pain on right side only, getting worse and worse

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

In the past month I've been plagued by a horrible back pain on the right side, which comes and goes but has been getting worse with time. It's in the lower back. I feel alright when I stand up, but as soon as I sit down or lie down, the pain starts. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and what could it be? I can only see a GP in 2 weeks as there were no appointments available earlier...

I've had lower back pain for a few years now, but it's usually only after standing up for long periods of time, or if I sit in a car for a long time. It's also usually on both sides, not only on one side, and feels better when I lie down. So what's happening now is unusual and the pain is quite intense, it doesn't seem to want to go away. I'd really appreciate any input from you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello - low back pain could be a lot of things. You didn't mention any radiating pain in the buttocks or numbness in the legs so my thinking is if you have a herniated disc, it hasn't got to the point of bothering your legs with a sciatica. Could be a sprain of the sacroiliac joint.

You might want to check in with your doctor. A catscan and MRI will pin point the problem and aso rule out a lot of other things. Not sure if you're a male or female but low back pain can signal all sorts of things.

In the meantime, you might want to try alternating ice with heat and using some of the good topical ointments such as aspercreme or Zostrix. 

Don't hesitate seeing your doctor. Low back problems rarely get better without intervention. 

Good Luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

I will check it out with the doctor - but the way the system works here, sometimes it takes ages to see someone. I've recently had an ultrasound so I'm pretty sure it's not any of the organs in the area, as it was all fine. 

I guess my question is if anyone else experienced anything similar? i.e. pain on one side which doesn't really go away?

My spine has never been great - I've had back pain for years. In the past I did physio and I work my core muscles a lot, but the pain never really went away. It's just that this new pain is really weird. I've never had back pain on one side only and it usually goes away when I lie in bed. Could this be the spine too?

• Posted

I've had low right side back pain for nearly a year now. I've had MRI's and ultrasounds and have been told it's muscular. My QL muscles are quite weak due to years of poor posture and fallen arches. I am seeing a physio fortnightly and have started a Pilates class to try and strengthen my back muscles. It's a slow process once you address the issues, but you need to eliminate other things beforehand, so you know it's nothing serious. 

• Posted

There's  many things that could be causing your pain and, chances are, you'll need to see a neurologist to determine the specific cause and then determine a cure..In the meantime, you could take Aleve for the pain, as well as, use Deep Heat Rub, apply heat, etc. to help lessen the pain...Your doctor might prescribe an opiate drug to help eliminate the pain...Hope You Feel Better Soon!....

• Posted

There's  many things that could be causing your pain and, chances are, you'll need to see a neurologist to determine the specific cause and then determine a cure..In the meantime, you could take Aleve for the pain, as well as, use Deep Heat Rub, apply heat, etc. to help lessen the pain...Your doctor might prescribe an opiate drug to help eliminate the pain...Hope You Feel Better Soon!....

• Posted

I had some pretty distracting pain in a number of areas - low back included. I checked out a Gokhale Method course and they taught me techniques to adjust my terrible posture. It isn’t exercise or yoga really, these are things I can do throughout my day and even while lying down to sleep. It’s pretty great, I’m treating my own back pain now after conventional stretching and self correction did nothing.

• Posted

Thanks for the info, Alex...

I just checked it out on youtube... pretty straight forward.

I'm glad it's helping you..  they usually find that most back problems are ffrom cumulative trauma and bad habits so I can see where this falls in line.

• Posted

Absolutely, this has been all about habits for me. Having the course under my belt and their book to refer to has been huge, because I find myself slipping back into poor posture at work, while i'm standing, etc, and I have their baseline healthy posture to refer to as well as the steps to get there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.