Lower back pain progressed to gluteal problems

Posted , 5 users are following.

My issues started with tingling calves on both sides that progressed to lower back pain left side only around sacroiliac joint.  After seven months the lower back pain has alleviated slightly although I still get muscular tightness and discomfort up my back  sometimes.  My biggest problem now is my Glutes on both sides.  They feel like they have muscle knots in them as they feel lumpy and tender to press.  If I sit for long periods this pain gets worse particularly around my seat bones and spreading to the tops of my thighs.  I still have tingling in my legs as well.  I’m not sure whether my gluteal muscles are staying contracted which is causing them to feel tight, sore and inflamed or whether it’s muscle knots that need removed somehow.  I’m assuming it’s related to having had lower back pain for so long.  I walk every day, stretch several times a day and do Stuart McGill big 3 exercises for core and back strength.  I’ve also added in some leg and glute strengthing exercises to try and help.  What I’m looking for is practical advice from anyone who has had a similar issue.  My GP doesn’t seem to have a clue and I’ve had different advice from different physios.  I need help from someone who has had or is having a similar experience, anyone out there who can help?? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Go get yourself a foam roller, Google how to use it on glutes and other leg muscles.  They try this therapy for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.  Be warned, if you are very tender, this can be painful, but oh so beneficial.  Ease into it at first until you can stand up to at least 30 seconds on each tender spot.  Good luck.
  • Posted

The nerve roots that originate at your lower back branch out and travel to your calf muscles. These nerves also pass between, and in some case through, your glute musculature. It sounds like you are describing trigger points in these muscles causing spasms and tightness. If the tight glute muscles are putting excessive pressure on the nerves running to your calf muscles, then you would experience the tingling or numbness in your lower leg that progressively moves upward to your hips and lower back. Start by looking up "piriformis stretches" and begin loosening these muscles up. Also, the foam rolling already mentioned is a nice idea as well. However, be cautious blindly foam rolling the entire area. The more specific the better. Now, these are temporary solutions. The issue is likely originating from a compromised structure or alignment in your lower back. If you havent visited a chiropractor, I have found this can be very helpful. Shop around and find someone who is knowledgable in this specific type of condition. They should be familiar with your described symptoms as this is a relatively common condition. Good luck. 

• Posted

Thanks that’s helpful.  I’ve found a good Osteopath and he has been helping with massage and spine manipulation.  He has also advised foam rolling so hopefully between massage, foam rolling and stretching things will improve.  
    • Posted

I use a roller and yes it can be painful but very helpful but you can also use a tennis ball it really gets to the spot but don't over do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.