Lower back pain when laying down, unsure what causes it!

Posted , 2 users are following.

For the past week or so, I've been experiencing a weird pain when I lay down. I spend a great majority of my time sitting down, but I exercise enough to maintain a weight of about 100-105 lbs. This isn't my first experience with back problems, but I've never felt a pain like this one.

It only happens when I am laying down, no matter what position I am in. Most of the time, I have no problem at all, but every now and then when I go from sitting up to laying down (this only happens if I was already sitting in bed) there will be an immense pressure in my lower back, just above the tailbone that radiates to my sides.

The first few times, the pressure was tolerable but slowly grew more painful overtime if I didn't sit back up. It's only been perhaps a week and some number of days, but it seems to hsppen more frequently and starts muvh more painful before. The pressure and pain is so overwhelming that I even find it difficult to breath and move, and changing laying positions only offers very little and very brief relief, no matter how I move. The only way to make it stop is to sit up, which will cause it to fade away slowly.

I have not had any recent lifestyle changes, and I haven't done anything different that caused back pain, especially a strange, seemingly random pressure like this. I have no idea what is causing it, but it is unbearably painful and is disrupting my sleep. Please help!!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Well it's probably a pinched nerve that gets pinched when you lay down but it could be something more serious . Maybe even something not related to your back . For that reason I think it would be prudent for you to go see your doctor . In the meantime you might try putting ice on your back and try doing some stretches before you lay down . You can find examples of stretches for your back on YouTube.

• Posted

Update: It's been a week. The pain persists, and now also happens when laying on my side and on my stomach. It also seems that standing up for any extended period of time makes my back sore in the same way, but that is not new, only more evifent to me after these past few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.