Lower back pin and nausea only go away when lie down

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is actually a mother posting for her 9 year old son. About a month ago my son had a sinus infection and was prescribed antibiotics for 10 days on around day 4-5 he started complaining of back pain I figured it was just sore, gave Ibuprofen. A few days later stomach was very tender to touch lower right quadrant , was diagnosed with mesenteric adenitis. Diagnosed  by CT scan and WBC (white blood cell ) was 17,000 By need of the week he was still in pain sent to surgeon who agreed he was getting better WBC 14,000, agreed and was sent home ! He got better the very next day was perfect Saturday -Wednesday until Wednesday at 10:00 am called and said nausea and back pain had started back again. The only way all this stops is if he lies down with knees bent , or in a V shape between couch coushions... if the makes since 😬 this rocks on for weeks fast fwd to this week  back to dr on Monday for another CT scan (negative this time) blood

Work looked good , and ultrasound ( showed fluid between gallbladder and liver and gallbladder wall was thickened . Went to several doctors , they won’t confirm Anything because he’s nine they don’t want to say gallbladder ;( also today I was told to take him to a psychiatrist,  but I am curious what y’all think ? 

Btw I think ?? it’s stilm gallbladder , but wa stood that could not and would not happen in a child !! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

See a different GI doctor and forget about the psychiatrist!  Your son is having real physical pain.  Often doctors incorrectly jump to an anxiety diagnosis when the patient is young and they can’t work out the cause.

There are two possibilities: the antibiotics may have irritated his stomach since the pain started on day 4-5 of the medication. Taking probiotic yoghurts will help to restore gut flora.  Alternatively, have his appendix checked.  The appendix is on the right side and appendicitis can make the abdomen very tender to touch and can cause nausea/vomiting. 

• Posted

well how does the appendix look almost sounds like appendicitis also sometimes antibiotics will cause a lot of nausea especially if taken on an empty stomach try giving him some yogurt with cultures all during the time that he's on the antibiotics to keep the good bacteria in his stomach which is usually killed by antibiotics

• Posted

Thank you for your fast responses ! He woke up no better no worse .. went to store and bought Kifer to make him some fruit smoothies , because I was leaning about the same way wink he actually tried the pool today and says back pain lessened I’m curious if he has pinched nerve , and maybe the weightlessness in the water helps relieve that! And maybe nausea is due to pain .. I also gave him OTC anti nausea meds and OTC ibuprofen 400 mg so not sure what’s working , but it is and I’m one happy momma . I will keep y’all updated if anything changes 
    • Posted

The Kefir is really good to use but use it sparingly to begin with because your body has to get adjusted to these new things that you're using start out slowly and then you can add more each day very good for the stomach it puts in the good bacteria they are probiotics and they are better than what you can get for yogurt or anything else but you must start out slow with them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.