Lower back stiffness and fatigue. Really confused about my diagnosis. Please help

Posted , 8 users are following.

hey guys i have been suffering from fatigueness, muscles and bone pain specially lower back stiffness which is increasing day by day. i did my blood test and i have very low vitamin d level 11 and high calcium level. doctor told me to keep taking Vitamin d and it will fix this issue.

i am quite worried as there are many other serious disease which comes with these symptoms.

guys what test should i do henceforth to rule out possibilities of any grave disease??

i did pth test which came back normal 30

your reply will be really helpful. i am 27 year old male .

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

The likelihood of you having what we discuss here is very very low as it is something that almost always affects people over 50. So we probably can't help you a lot.

First of all you should try getting your vit D up to normal levels as they really could be the cause of the symptoms. To do that you do need a high dose for a short time - one suggested regime is 60,000 IU per WEEK, either in one dose or as 3x20,000 IU spread out during the week for 8-10 weeks.

at any rate, 25,000 IU per week over a few months is needed. Then get the blood level checked again . Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get it to last more than a few months.

Also see a physiotherapist about the low back pain if that doesn't improve - it could be muscular.

Then if that doesn't sort things out, ask your doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist because the symptoms are possibly due to some sort of autoimmune disorder - even the low vit D is typical.

Since you have high calcium and low vit D that would be a sign of a parathyroid problem but you say your pth is normal so it reduces the likelihood of that being the cause. That would be something to take to an endocrinologist.

• Posted

The likelihood of you having what we discuss here is very very low as it is something that almost always affects people over 50. So we probably can't help you a lot.

First of all you should try getting your vit D up to normal levels as they really could be the cause of the symptoms. To do that you do need a high dose for a short time - one suggested regime is 60,000 IU per WEEK, either in one dose or as 3x20,000 IU spread out during the week for 8-10 weeks.

at any rate, 25,000 IU per week over a few months is needed. Then get the blood level checked again . Sometimes it takes a couple of attempts to get it to last more than a few months.

Also see a physiotherapist about the low back pain if that doesn't improve - it could be muscular.

Then if that doesn't sort things out, ask your doctor to refer you to a rheumatologist because the symptoms are possibly due to some sort of autoimmune disorder - even the low vit D is typical.

Since you have high calcium and low vit D that would be a sign of a parathyroid problem but you say your pth is normal so it reduces the likelihood of that being the cause. That would be something to take to an endocrinologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.