Lower Back Surgery. Now right leg in considerable pain. Any ideas?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had lower back spinal fusion and discectomy. I also had some type of cage mounted at the S1 location, the lowest part of my spine. I think I am aggravating the situation by sitting but what am I supposed to do? I am in the pool three days a week exercising with a group for core strength and I use a large ball to roll on forward and backward. But I have severe right leg pain. Oxycodone will stop it but I don't want to get addicted to it. Any ideas on the leg pain?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

George, are you able to try ice and lying on your side with your back supported with a pillow. Sometimes if you put a pillow Between your legs to raise the height a little it helps. Also, the surgeon must have a help line you could call and check these options or have them suggest something. Depending on the length of time since surgery, I would not worry about addiction. If it has been more than six weeks, please check with your surgeon. Are you overdoing activity or he wrong type of activities? Maybe a pain diary to keep a record of how much pain on a scale of 1 to 10 (low to high) and what you were doing. This can help you figure it out. I would avoid sitting and really try to stand more or lay on your side. You can do this just figure out your pattern.
  • Posted

Hi George 56036,

I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, I take oxycodon i have since April lsstvyear before thst itcwas oramorph but my respiratory consultant thoight that oxycodon would be better as its a cleaner drug what ever that means , the only thing is only took oramorph whenI had severe flare ups and my other medication wasn't helping but I can take this evey hour,

I know that im not much help regarding the pain in your leg , could you be doing to much, maybe speek to you gp or have you alteady tried that , if you don't want to take the oxycodon is there not something that the doctors can give you ,

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've just been placed on gabapentin and the leg pain went away after the very first day. 300mg 3 times a day.

• Posted

So you're up to 2400 mg a day. I know one can go to as high as 3200 mg. Just wondering why the high dosage? My 900 mg a day really fixed my excruciating leg pain after back surgery. I mention this because that amount is making me slightly nautious unless I eat something.

• Posted

Hi george56036

I have extremely severe fibromyalgia, asthma and another lung condition as well as being on oxygen constantly, I am on a cocktails of medication for different reasons but for pain I am on gabapentin, zomorph, oxycodon , co - codamol diazapam to help relax , other medication for my breathing problems,

I do find that i have to eat a small amount before i take my tablets and a small amount after other wise im sick, one tablet i have to keep separate as my medication is in a nomad I separate the mycrpheolate as I have to eat before I take it with a fulk glass of water and eat after i have taken it as well, I plan my meals around the times of when my medication is due especially in the morning and evening asci take mega then the afternoon and early evening is only co-codamol, gabapentin, diazapam, buscapam and bisacodyal..

I hope you are feeling better today.

Takecare

Loraine x

• Posted

Doing very well. Im a little concerned about feeling overly sedated at 900mg and cutting Gabapentin to twice a day to see if that helps. I just don't want ti feel drowsy. If not I'll have to go back to 900mg and just hope that the sleepiness is temporary. The leg still is responding very well to the treatment.

• Posted

Hi george 57036

If you ate feeling drowsy then maybe you should speak to your gp as you don't want to be feeling drowsy all the time it could just be they take time to get into your system and you always oxycodon to fall back on if the pain gets to bad,

I do hope that you get things sorted out soon ,

Goof luck

Loraine x

• Posted

I tried dropping back to two gabas a day. That doesn't work. Keeps me more alert but increases the pain. So I am going to wait and see if the drowsiness will go away. I still have things I jave to do so that could be a problem if energy levels are low. Life can be interesting to say the least. I have Bipilar Sisorder but that's been under control for a long time with no issues. So I'm sure I can manage this.

• Posted

Hi george 56036

That's good to hear that you are doing okay. Take care Loraine x

• Posted

Don't build up the dose if it's working . You may need to go higher over time though. Hate to tell you, but coming off this stuff can be almost as hard as opiate addiction, (though it is different for everyone). Hell, life's too short to be in severe pain anymore than you have to. Glad it's working, (again, it doesn't help everyone. I went up to 3000 mgs a day, with no pain relief, docs kept saying "try a bit higher."... It took me months to get off it. All for nothing.)window.post_1488141625490_2 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}window.post_1488141633578_19 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.