Lower Heart Rate

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone! I have a question so I quit smoking a week ago. Yayy me! I have noticed today that my resting heart rate is a bit lower than it normally is. I am 41 female. Good weight. Blood pressure is normally 120/70 something. While smoking if I'm just relaxing on the couch my resting rate is usually between 70-75. Today I noticed when I checoked that while resting it's been in low 60's and when laying ..took a nap it was around 58 59. Is this normal. I have no dizziness or weakness. Actually feel pretty good today nice and calm. So if anyone could just ease my mind or give me some insight that would be great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That is very normal. When you smoke the chemicals in the cigarette raise you're heart rate. 72 hours after quitting you're heart rate reduces. A resting heart rate is 60 to 100 bpm. sometimes mine is at 55 and I smoke but I'm also on a beta blocker. But yes it is normal.

• Posted

Thank you so much. Normally I'm worried about it being to fast I have svt. So it's good to know that quitting has great benifits.

• Posted

Hi Renee,

My pulse has always been between 55 and 67 which is normal in my eyes. The fitter you are the lower your pulse, I get worried if occasionally mine has been 70 +.

• Posted

Hi Renee.

60 to 100 beats per minute is an ideal heart rate. It is okay to have it around 55-60 too also because you've quit smoking now. It's not anything to be concerned about. It also gets influenced by stress and anxiety, hormones, and medications but since you are calm and happy, it shouldn't be something to worry about. So be in peace. Talk with your doctor if your resting heart rate is regularly on the lower end and you feel dizzy.

Have a good day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.