Lower leg (calf) pain - could it be due to Prednisone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was, in total, 5 weeks on Prednisone.

I completed my course on 22 Dec but only about 25/26th I started waking up in the mornings with really terrible lower leg pain, calf to be precised. This pain is really bad in the morning and at night.

Could it be a side symptoms of the steroids?

Other than the above and terrifying mood swings (from super hyper to quite sad) I didn't have major side symptoms during the time of the treatment (maybe also bit rounded face now and then and occasional spells of tiny dizziness) - why does the body react post treatment and why my calfs hurt so bad?

Should I worry and seek medical assistance?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barbara, I'm not a doctor of course, but I really think you should get the lower calf pain reviewed by a doctor just in case it is something like a deep vein thrombosis in which case it would obviously require quick treatment. From my limited experience, the pain and muscle aches etc from steroid withdrawal are all over the body not just in one place. All the best Jill

• Posted

Thank you Jill for your reply. Today I am fine but I'll make sure I see a doctor once I feel the leg pain again. Bx

• Posted

Hi Barbara

I'm not a doctor either, but if you're in pain then I'd say you should see a doctor as Jill replied. You didn't mention how high your dosage was, but their are loads of side effects to the steroids. My advice is to be patient (come off steroids slowly and expect some side effects). The good news is that the moon face will go, and the side effects do go away, eventuallysmile

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for your reply. The treatemnt was bit comlicated so it was 5 days of 500mg (100mg a day) then ''quick fix'' this didn't work and I was being eventually (after circa 3-4days) given 5 weeks treatement in daily doses of 70mg, 40mg, 20mg, 10mg and 10mg every other day to come off the steroids. 

I think Jill is right, I should worry as my gut feeling says there is something not quite right... I did have body ache (really bad onces, like my whole body was brusied after a car accident) but that was after the first treatment and the calf issue is not for the first time.. It would swell from now and then since I was 16 - my doctors (meaning, GP, neuro, ENT) never commented back on it so I keep ignoring it.

Would you know possibly know when the swelling (my round face) would go back to normal?

• Posted

Wow! High dosage then smile My own experience is to come down from a lower dosage, much slower (2 years to come down from 60mg/day). The only thing I'd question is the jump from 10 to zero.  At 10mg your adrenal glands are, hopefullly, just starting to wake up again. There are plenty of protocols for reducing from 10mg/day, most involve dropping no more than 10% at a time, although you weren't on a high dose for long, compared to some. So, you MIGHT be getting some issues with your adrenal glands (but I'd check with your doctor, as there are tests for this).  I didn't lose my chubby face until I was down to 1mg/day, but i was taking steroids for a long time.  It takes me 4 weeks to adjust to a new dosage, so you might take another fortnight or so 

• Posted

Thanks so much for your answer - I'll just remain patient then... sigh

I'm the last person on earth who'd want to talk to the doctors but seeing your and Jill's answers I may actually do if I feel rough again. 

In meantime I got myslef on a detox diet (just fruits and vegs no it's not that extreeme) and I also booked myslef on a stem cell theraphy to avoid going through a similar issue in the future - fingers crossed... 

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

I am no expert on prednisolone myself but I totally agree with the others, the withdrawal pains from the drug usually occur all over and I also had headaches, i had been on them approximately as long as you. Best to get the pain in your calf checked out though. to make sure it is not DVT. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.