Lower stomach/ abdomen pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently I have been experiencing unusual pain during my period. I experience period pain almost every period but this feels different. I've been experiencing a dull aching pain in the lower abdomen/pelvis which has lasted for about 4 days, I can hear my stomach gurgling a lot and it feels like I need to go to the toilet, except when I go, it doesn't feel any better or reduce the pain. This may be tmi but my poop is also a lot looser than usual. It hasn't stopped me from doing day to day activities but it can cause discomfort sometimes. Does anyone know what this could be?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do you feel the pain and get loose stools only during your period?  Period pain can vary from cycle to cycle and you can experience loose, urgent stools with it.  

Are you experiencing ligher or heavier bleeding than usual?  Are you getting  any bloating or feeling full very quickly when eating?  Does the pain build up to a cresendo and then disappear again?  Ask your doctor about cysts and endometriosis.  Perhaps ask for a standard and pelvic ultrasound.

I started getting constipation, stomach pain, loose stools and nausea just before and during my period.  The pain was different and harder to control and I blamed it on my cycle.   The pain did not stop me doing my usual activities but it caused me to panic.  After three and a half months of testing and no answers, I was diagnosed with IBS.  Bowel habit change is linked with IBS. However, with IBS, pain typically reduces after a bowel movement.

• Posted

The loose stools are mostly during my period, but it can occur when I'm not, as well as the pain once in a while. My period is much lighter this time round and i often find myself feeling very bloated and full of gas that I can't seem to get rid of. And yes the pain does build up and then stop for a while, but continues again shortly after. Once you were diagnosed with IBS, did you receive medication that worked, or do you still feel like it's something different?

• Posted

I was initially prescribed Mebeverine which made me feel a lot worse and did norhing for the pain.  I then tried Buscopan which helps to control it and if it is very bad I take Nurofen as well.  Sometimes, Paracetemol is enough. Usually antispasmodics reduce the cramps but don't get rid of it entirely.  The pain is a lot better than it was in the first three months when it was constant.  Now I have long remissions.  

The pain typically flares with stress. I am still having a flare up from stress last week but it is under control.  I have been back on full dose Buscopan to manage it.  Sometimes, the pain goes away on its own.  It took a while to figure out that stress was the trigger. My doctor helped me identify it on my eighth attempt.

Although, I don't get bloating or gas, these can be IBS symptoms. Everyone though experiences IBS differently.

• Posted

Thankyou! If the pain continues for much longer I will try some Buscopan, I am quite stressed at the moment which might be a trigger of stomach cramping. If Buscopan doesn't work I will take a trip to the doctor

• Posted

Give it a week to see if your symptoms improve.  If not, your doctor should be able to run tests and give you an official diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.