Lowered Levothyroxine doseage and weight gain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at 21, had a thyroidectomy and radio iodine treatment and put on 225mcg of levo per day. I'm now 37 and have had my doseage lowered to 100mcg per day as I'm now at a high risk of osteoporosis. I now cannot lose weight no matter how hard i try! I lost 2 stone when i was on the higher dose and since it has been lowered i have steadily put it back on. I eat well during the week, not so much at weekends but hey who does!! I take it in the morning but always have my usual cup of tea which i now know can stop the absorption due to the caffeine. I've read many people take it at night so I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same position or has been through similar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly, I myself don't suffer with weight gain but I take mine in the evening purely because the side affects for me were unbearable

• Posted

hi im LAURA

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT SIDE EFFECTS you went though as i myself went through so much after a car accident totally threw my levels off! thought i was dying!

i never want to experience that again....

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I suggest you look through the thousands of posts on side effects of levothyroxin. You'll get some insight.

I can tell you what worked for my mother after decades of struggle and a thyroidectomy.

She uses ThyroGold, along with essential amino acids and regular multivitamin and mineral supplements.

Truly, nothing is perfect. But she's doing better on this combo than on anything else she's been on.

FYI Sparkielittle, there is quite a bit of information that whiplash injuries can contribute to thyroid disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.