Lowering blood pressure

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. This is my first posting. I have been reading with interest the various

blogs about high blood pressure and how to reduce it and thought my

experiences may help some of you. I am a 63 year male. I am 5' 11" tall

and thought I was a healthy weight at 12st 10lbs. Moderately active. Enjoy

a glass or two of wine each night plus the occasional beer!

My readings were always about 150/95. My father died some years ago of

a stroke and my GP put me on 10mg ramapril. Little if no change to my

readings so a month ago I decided to change my lifestyle.

I have cut out ALL alcohol, I have dieted (weight now 12st) I have cut out

ALL coffee and reduced tea. I walk EVERY day, fast, for at least 30mins. I

include foods such as beetroot, lean chicken, porridge, fruit and veg in my diet. No packaged sauces, crisps, bacon etc.

You've guessed it....my bp is now in the region of 120/80 each day.

I am still on the ramapril but am seeing GP next week to see what she

thinks.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has gone down this route to try and

resolve high bp.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great advice, Fisherman, and well done you.  I'm sure following your diet/exercise and weight loss routine would help many with their blood pressure.  Unfortunately, it does't seem to help me but I am a few years older than you and have other problems that could have a bearing on my BP.  Keep up your good work, and if it ges you off the Ramipril, even better.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It has been hard work as I love my food and I love real ale! But I am determined to carry on. What is interesting is that I don't think its just one thing that has

made the difference. It is a "life style" change.

• Posted

Good on you, I'm glad the diet and exercise regime has worked for you.

I did more or less the same as you although my BP was 163 initially and the diastolic too was far too high. I had wanted to get it down by lifestyle means but after 2 months of trying it didn't really work so I was put on Ramipril later changed to Losartan. I took a medium dose and after about 15 months had it reduced to the lowest measure as either the meds were working overtime or the lifestyle had finally kicked in. Who knows? I still hate taking the damn things anyway !!!

Do hope your stays the same way, 150/95 isn't really so bad but perhaps the 95 was? I had tended to disregard the importance of the diastolic number but the dr told me that I had TWO high BP readings and she seemed to think that was more serikous than just one. Not sure about that though.

• Posted

Hi Jane. Thanks for your thoughts. This "life style" change thing that

everyone bangs on about appears to be working for me but it is early

days AND its forever. I love my food and I love my real ale. I am sure

weight loss has helped though so will have to watch diet. Can't wait to

hear what my GP says next week.

• Posted

Hello there yes it is the bottom number that is the important one with regards to your heart, and the top number goes up with excercise climbing the stairs etc it has to, so your organs can receive a supply of blood. Great news for you keep up the good work and let us know what your gp thinks. I was talking to a lady the other day whose husabnd takes numerous bp meds and still has 200/110 reading his kidneys eyes and heart have all been checked and are fine, he feels rotten with all the meds he takes it does make you wonder if there is too much hype about bp readings, all the doctors can put it down to is stress at work amazinghowsome people have resistant hypertension..
    • Posted

Hi Helen. Thanks for your comments. I am embracing the life style change so far but have family over tonight for dinner and friends joining us for dinner next Friday and I find it a bit embarrassing by declining certain foods and alcohol. Silly isn't it? Its my body and my high blood pressure! Keep you posted re my GP's comments next week.

• Posted

After 14 years of labile BP with not unusual readings of 210/110 I have no reported damage. My blood glucose has been considered to be high for around ten years and touch wood no known damage. I have some lack of feeling in my feet but that was there 40 years ago with no known cause.

Year by year the goalposts are being moved on how low our figures should be. 

• Posted

I'd often wondered about the systolic numbers and how you are told not to take a reading after exercise. If I take mine after a brisk walk my BP drops, really drops down quite low, it always does this. It's back to normal quite soon. I asked the dr once why this was and as long as things are soon back to normal she didn't seem bothered.
    • Posted

Mine normally goes down after being out walking.
    • Posted

This walking/exercise lark does have some merit. I always considered myself fairly fit for my age but rarely put my heart under pressure for sustained time. Walking briskly for 30mins every day does that. Always check with GP tho if you think you want to do some strenuous exercise. As I have said before it was the "package" of changes that appear to work for me. Can I keep it going though?!
    • Posted

I wondered exactly the same Fisherman, could I keep the walking up every day.  Then I bought a labrador puppy a year ago so now have to walk her - and me too. Mutual benefitsmile. Better and cheaper than a gym any day for my money, I'm lucky that I live in the country though.
    • Posted

hi Jane its something to do with the fact that blood goes to the lower part of the body when walking, thats what I have read, mine also goes low after brisk 40 min walk in the morning and also feel amazing,  it does get rid of alot of stress.  I have also found that if I don.t give a damn about what my reading is, it is always lower, in other words less anxiety which is what I think is the culprit for alot of high readings. I am sure we are all going to be fine.. lets have alovely day and throw caution to the wind .
    • Posted

Interesting theory, I'd often wondered about it, not bothered about it you understand.

Re having a lovely day, if only the weather wasn't so foul today - I  have to push myself to take the dog out. Will feel better when I've done it I'm sure.

• Posted

Looking at the driving rain here I am wondering if I really have to do my walk today! Can I rent your new puppy and then I will have an excuse! Looking forward to grilled chicken breast and fresh veg tonight after the walk!
    • Posted

You're welcome to the puppy! She's 13 months old now and trashes everything she can. In 50 years I've never had such a naughty dog!!  Lovely though and reasonably well behaved on walks. She seems to think it's my duty to walk/throw balls for her 24/7 rolleyes. She's off to have a snip job on Weds so I hope it might calm her down a bit.
    • Posted

she sounds lovely yes did me 40mins in the rain 9am this morn not many others walking though they must be fairweather walkers, at the momemtmy bp is 135/88with no meds hpe this is ok have lost my don.t give a damn mode good luck for her on wed at vets I know this is nothing to do with bp but variation is the spice of life...
    • Posted

I think the naughty pups grow into the most gorgeous dogs with the best personalities (bit like some of our children these days!lol).  We've had two Welsh Border Collies and two Golden Retrievers over the years.  Would really love another but don't know if these ageing bones would be able to cope with that early training/tugging on the lead.  A small breed would be the sensible choice but I just happen to like the bigger breeds - more to cuddle!  Your Golden Lab sounds gorgeous - make the most of Wednesday evening - she'll be a very good do whilst the anaesthetic wears off.! 
    • Posted

Have you taken her to training classes? Our first one was expelled for exiting the boys even though she was not in season.
    • Posted

My sister has a gorgeous golden retriever now about 3 years old but as mad as a puppy. My sister walks her every day and it really keeps her fit. I think its nice to have a dog as company when you walk. Also a good reason to get outside even when wet!!
    • Posted

I love that - exciting the boys and being expelled from puppy classes!! Yes I took her to puppy classes but i can't say she was the star of the class! At least she is a 'proper' dog - I'm not impressed with all these designer crosses these days,we used to call them mongrels but now they fetch huge sums of money!
    • Posted

You're right about having to get out with them, rain or shine. We had a golden retriever once many years ago. Lovely natured dogs but he had a coat like a hearth rug!
    • Posted

I haven't told her yet that she'sgoing for the snip, she's been in season just once and didn't seem to know what it was all about! We'd been considering getting a rescue dog but once had one that wasn't really a success so in the end chose a puppy.
    • Posted

She had a very sexy walk:-)

She was a very good dog (part labrador) but did not like being left on her own.

One night my wife was working and I was at my monthly union meeting. When I arrived home there was sick all over the place and two of my partly eaten expensive shoes that she had taken from a cupboard. Bad enough but she had eaten a shoe from two different pairs.

After that if my wife was working I took the dog to my union meetings.

• Posted

Anyone looking in for the first time, Derek, and reading your first line would think they'd clicked on the wrong button!!!lol

The worst damage we experienced from any dog was our very first one - a border collie.  Recently married, I returned from work to find exit door frames from the kitchen/diner chewed, along with the legs of the dining chairs (built and upholstered by hubby).  I just dissolved into tears, not just at the damage but fearing that hubby would arrive home and say the dog had to go.  Whilst I was blubbing I became aware of a strange noise coming from upstairs, went to investigate and found the bathroom door not closed properly and every so often hitting the frame.  I managed to convince Mike that the dog was a good guard dog.......he stayed and we had a wonderful 14 years with him (the dog, not Mike, though happily he stayed as well!)

• Posted

We wanted her to have one litter.She was sexy but resisted the advances of all dogs but twice a year had a phantom pregnacy and took to her basket to nurse a squeaky toy. She then had to have tablets to stop her lactating.
    • Posted

Given how this site watches every stroke of the computer I'm surprised Derek hasn't been censored !!!! Have much enjoyed the stories of the 'dog with the sexy walk'. The mind boggles but it did make me chucklelol.
    • Posted

She must have been a tease. She was normally a very friendly dog with other dogs except if they wanted intimate relations then she would bite them.

Not long ago I was on  train and one that was her spitting image came down the gangway with its owner. It stopped when it got to me and put her head on my knee and gave me a soulful look' Reincarnation?

Did you ever read the novel Fluke by James Herbert about a reincarnated dog trying to find its old family? The book is good but the Movie was awful.

• Posted

Hi Helen I love your post .I am stressing myself badly about my reading 175/76 usually after I'm up for a while .Then goes up and down during the day .Ny bottom line is usually good .I  do believe I make mine worse by reading,stressing about it .Been on medicines for about 30 years .My GP practice just believes in annual readings so this checking my own is probably the worst thing I can do Liz
    • Posted

You are right to check it at home. A once a year reading at the surgery is not likely to be a typical reading.

Have you had a 24 hour monitor fitted at any time? After 30 years there can't be much you can read that is new. I keep a three times a day reading of my results and present them to my GP or cardiologist.

• Posted

thank you for that, 76 on the bottom is a good  reading may be you have been climbing stairs,or panicing about the reading when your taking it, I do that all the time.. you must keep a check on it once a year is not enough even if you do it every 2 weeks or so..

• Posted

liz what meds are you taking for your bp,has he doc kept you on the same one? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.