Lowering blood pressure

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. This is my first posting. I have been reading with interest the various

blogs about high blood pressure and how to reduce it and thought my

experiences may help some of you. I am a 63 year male. I am 5' 11" tall

and thought I was a healthy weight at 12st 10lbs. Moderately active. Enjoy

a glass or two of wine each night plus the occasional beer!

My readings were always about 150/95. My father died some years ago of

a stroke and my GP put me on 10mg ramapril. Little if no change to my

readings so a month ago I decided to change my lifestyle.

I have cut out ALL alcohol, I have dieted (weight now 12st) I have cut out

ALL coffee and reduced tea. I walk EVERY day, fast, for at least 30mins. I

include foods such as beetroot, lean chicken, porridge, fruit and veg in my diet. No packaged sauces, crisps, bacon etc.

You've guessed it....my bp is now in the region of 120/80 each day.

I am still on the ramapril but am seeing GP next week to see what she

thinks.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has gone down this route to try and

resolve high bp.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sounds a good idea.  Let us know how you get on with the GP.  I am interested to hear if you stop all medications whether your Bp would be ok. Also I wonder how long effects of the drugs continue to affect.

I was on Amlodipine for 6 months, suffering increased problems, most noticeable swelling of ankles, knee and leg,  ( I have arthritis in my left knee and the medications definately made it worse) I also suffered from insomnia. w The swelling decreased within two days of stopping the medication.  I wonder what other problems had been caused to my body, and what long term effects.

The doctor finally changed my medication to candesartan, but this does not seem to be lowering my blood pressure, to be truthfull I do not have much faith in medication now, and am not very happy to continue with it, but aware of the dangers of high blood pressure it is a dilemma to know what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.