LOWERING BLOOD PRESSURE BY "LIFE STYLE" CHANGE

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I have started a new thread due to the experience I have had over the last month with my blood pressure readings. I would be interested if anyone else out there has had a similar experience. One month ago my bp readings were averaging in the moderate hypertension range. Sometimes spiking to high hypertension. In 4 weeks I have lost 10lbs and now for the first time in years and years I weigh under 12stone. I stopped drinking alcohol and coffee. Gave up processed foods and snacks like crisps etc. Been eating porridge for breakfast, slimming shake for lunch with banana and lean meat with veg for dinner. I also do 30 mins exercise each day. And so here I am a month later and my readings today are 120/76!! Can this just be down to these lifestyle changes? I am still on ramapril and statins. I long to drink beer again and enjoy a meal with some chips with it, but dare I take the chance?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Some people find it easier to give up all alcohol rather than drink in moderation and guess that applies to chips too.  Would you be able to have half or one pint a week for a few weeks and maybe chips once a month and see if that changes your readings?  I personally don't think you can discount the effects of ramipril on the loweing of your blood pressure.  Sounds like the combination of the meds and lifestyle changes are doing the trick but I'm firmly of the belief that a little of what you fancy occasionally is no bad thing.  Total admiration though for the changes you've made.
  • Posted

I've lost 2 stone+ on the SlimmingWorld diet and my BP readings have come down sufficiently to take me off one of my meds. I also have diabetes T2 and I've had my meds dropped to just 1g of metformin which I hope to be off by the end of the year. I think life-style changes definately work! I should have done this 30 years ago....

Unfortunatelty I've recently been diagnosed with AF which means I'm now on Digoxin and Warfarin but, hey, that's life!

If you want to enjoy guilt-free chips buy an Actifry. I have chips twice a week and roast potatoes once a week, all cooked in the Actifry and I'm still losing weight and the carbs don't seem to give my diabetes a problem either. When my wife bought the Actifry I thought it would be another bit of kitchen tech that wouldn't see the light of day after a short honeymoon period but I was wrong! If I'm honest, I actually prefer chips out of the Actifry over those from the local chip shops! The though of all that grease makes me feel ill now biggrin

• Posted

and how about sweet potatoes, sliced into chips and roasted in the oven? 

Very healthy.

• Posted

I would not go back to your old ways if you can avoid it.  Boring I know but look at what you have achieved. Why gain weight again over a pint and chips.

Richard

• Posted

Not the old ways. The new ways with an occasional treat which can be a psychological boost.  Of course there is another aspect we are all ignoring. They call it paradoxical intervention.  Once a professional tells you you can or can't do something, you have a desire to do the opposite.  Fisherman could well find that, faced with a pint and a plate of chips, he develops an urge for a nice cup of green tea and a bowl of steamed broccoli.
    • Posted

I'm with you Alexandra!! Thanks all of you for your support. I am tempted by an occasional treat I must say!
    • Posted

Oh Richard....not even a little treat?!!! Only joking, I know how important it is to stay on track and even if I do stray I know I can get straight back into it. 
  • Posted

your choice. Im just being tough to keep you on track

R

• Posted

I know you are and I do appreciate your help and guidance. P.S. you're not a sargeant major in the army are you?!!!!!
  • Posted

no I am a student but my dad was a seargeant in the army during national service.

Maybe thats where I get it from.  More likely my mother though she's quite tough.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.