Lpr and dry mouth

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a problem for about a year or just over. It started with slight slurring on a daily basis. But then it gradually became more chronic. No other symptoms as such. The more chronic this became the more the anxiety built up anyway after just getting on with life. I thought this is not getting better. Have always followed a good diet with a few naughtys here and there. Have always exercised. Weight has gone up and down a bit went to see doctor as the slurring was accompanied by chronic sensation of dry mouth. Getting to the stage that I can no longer hold a conversation as my mouth cannot seem to keep up with my brain. Having trouble reading aloud seem to get muddled as I go on as if I wax drunk sometimes. Anyway to cut a long story short after having blood tests to rule out other things. They came back fine. Eventually referred to speech therapist who I thought was great. She asked a few things noticed I spoke fast which I think could be anxiety she caught me on a good day.

My wife had a cold about six weeks before and a tickly cough which I caught, the thing was that I never got rid of the cough. Which I seem to get when I lay down. Also leading up to this for the last few months I have had trouble in the throat having trouble getting food down choking feeling sometimes. A bitter taste in mouth especially in bed in the morning. No heartburn as such. The speech therapist said she thought I had LPR she referred back to GP.

I am now on lansoprazole and gaviscon advanced for about 2 weeks now. Which I know is not long but the dry mouth is terrible now, although the dentist and doctor said that my mouth was not ot particularly dry. The last year or so has been not great with having a discectomy in March which went great. But before that I was in alot of pain and was popping the pills. Naproxen, codeine etc just to have some sort of relief. Could it be that that's caused this with my digestion. Anyway I think I am going to ask for an endoscopy when I go back to see the GP as these pills you get prescribed just give you more problems,

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update!!

After being diagnosed with Barratts

esophagus at the end of 2017 a year has gone by and well no improvement whatsoever in fact the speech is now really bad , changed doctors already twice in the last year. Anyway at this doctor sent to the ENT Dept at the hospital where I had a, larynscophy which seemed a okay as I thought but the lady did mention that and showed me that there was a slight sagging of skin on the right side of my throat she said this could be something to do with the bells palsy which I had in 2016. But because I had never been referred to a neurologist before she said I should be seen quite swiftly as that day I was really struggling with my speech ( let's just say my very understanding and patient wife was on hand to explain things to the lady.

So I went to see the doctor again and he shown me the letter from ENT Dept and all I remembered seeing was at the end of the letter Parkinsons or motor neurone disease was being mentioned because of the nerve damage to my throat as that's what he said I had and said he would chase the neurology dept up to get an appointment earlier

I went to see the neurologist at the hospital and gave me a good going over and did say that I had some PARKINSONISM Traits although he was not prepared to say for definate as there was no sign of tremor. I could walk forward and back in a straight I could look down etc plus I could write in a straight line draw a proper circle plus reflexes were good

Anyway he said I should have a scan of the head before he could make any decision as he thought I was a bit of a conundrum. Had scan yesterday just waiting for the results now I did mention to him that I have really bad lightheadiness /spaced out feeling at the moment which I have had now for a couple of months which I think is getting worse plus tinnitus is now bad at times. Oh the joys of getting older!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.