LPR and singing. Am I damaging my voice further?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have LPR and am, currently, trying to manage without any medication. Five months of Lansoprazole and Ranitidine didn't help much.   I've adjusted my diet and chew gum after meals, which helps somewhat and am now waiting for an appointment for a Barium Swallow.  I belong to a choir and, although I've noticed that my vocal range has altered - it's lower - and I get hoarse after singing, I am still trying to sing.  However, my throat was very sore after last week's rehearsal.  The hospital consultant I saw at the end of last week didn't seem very sure what to say about the choir.  I don't think he'd come across anybody with LPR who sang before.  I wondered if anybody else had experienced the same difficulty.  What did you do?  And by continuing to sing am I damaging my vocal chords even more?  I'm loathe to give up something I really enjoy, but am worried that I am making things even worse.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, do you feel better now? I started getting LPR symptoms in October last year and I have tried everything under the sun but it just wont go away. I'm a singer too and have the same question as you. Did you find an answer to your question about voice getting damaged further when singing with LPR? 

• Posted

Hi.  

Thank you, Leanne, for your post and I apologise that I didn't see it earlier.  I'm on Gaviscon Advance, too and find it definitely helps.  I've had a little flare-up recently, but, definitely did not want to go back onto powerful meds, which did nothing, anyway!  I hope that things improve for you.

Thanks for your post, Sahil63774.  Well, I'm coping OK, but, after months of sore throats and hoarseness after rehearsals and concerts, I eventually went to my GP and talked it over with him.  He told me that, when singing, I was forcing acid up into my throat, hence the sore throat and hoarseness and he advised me to stop singing.  So, reluctantly, I decided to leave the choir.  It was all getting a bit much, though.

I hope that you manage to keep singing, although i know it's difficult.  I just sing around the house now, which I still enjoy!

• Posted

Hey,

I'm slowly kind of escaping LPR (by taking literally nothing actually, turns out mine and many others is due to stress) and I currently visit a voice therapist who claims that singing is actually really good for your voice's health as long as you're not overdoing it. I currently sing about 2-3 songs a night which are kinda within my range (I'm awkwardly in the middle of alto and sop2) and I don't seem to get much pain in my voice except a little bit of tiredness which everyone who sings loudly like myself usually experiences.

So I wouldn't be afraid to do so!!

• Posted

yep, Im with ya. Think its safe to say i have to give up on all my ideas of being a vocalist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.