LPR disproven but symptoms getting worse and with a pattern

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just received the resukts of my rapid spit tests, manometry and impedance tests all at once. They're all clear, but my LPR continues and is worsening greatly. I figured out something important. My symptoms can change in a matter of minutes based on whether or not I use Gaviscon Advance. They're equally distressing, but I keep bouncing between them, I just have no idea why:

With Gaviscon Advance:

- Extremy tight throat (much less mucus)

- More burping

- Hurts/hard to swallow

Without Gaviscon Advance:

- Thick, heavy amounts of post nasal drip

- Difficulty breathing

- Tight chest

- Some difficulty swallowing (no pain)

A single gulp of alkaline water can bring in the mucus/tight chest/breathing problems on in seconds, but Gaviscon Advance sometimes takes a few uses to make things change. Why would 2 things reknowned for LPR treatment make me worse in different ways?!

Also I wake up perfectly fine in the morning, until I swallow, which kick-starts the symptoms. No clue why, especially since the evidence says I don't have reflux. Please help me!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Daxter, I have suffered bloating and belching for years. Antacids made it worse. A sip of water would trigger an episode of violent belching. I read where a doctor said low stomach acid has the same symptoms as excess acid. Doctors only treat people for excess acid. I baught some digestive enzymes (that included betaine hcl). They cured my problem with bloating and belching. However I still had the odd flare. After a recent hospital admission I made the following discovery. My thoughts. Bloating is a result of incorrectly digested food in the intestines. Or constipation causeing bowel to back up. In hospital I had a NG tube into my stomach. Anything entering my stomach ended up in the NG bag. The discharge into the bag was amber coloured. No gas. When it turned green (bile) instant gas production pressure, pain and feeling terrible. Nurses used syringe at my request to draw fluid off my stomach and it produced instant relief. However this process soon repeated itself. I believe that the bile under pressure from a bloated bowel is forced into the stomach where it reacts with the stomach acid to produce excessive quantities of gas. Now when I start to produce gas I take a Zantac to kill the acid and stop the reaction. Then follow this with 2 dry cream crackers to mop up the residual bile/acid. This works well for me. 
    • Posted

I am concern about my throat. 

I have been suffering from anxeity for several months now. But in the past 3 weeks, i have a sore throat that won't go away, and it super red. I don't have any cold symthoms. Went to my gn Dr. and hr gave me anitbiotics which did nothing for me! But he also prescibed a anit-acid pill. 

- Sore throat/almost burning

-dry throat

-sometimes clearing my throat

-sometimes a little hoarness

I have an appointment with the ENT 1/11/16. But my anxiety of course takes me to the worst which is cancer

So I went into google, and of course all kinds of things comes up, but I came upon LPR, and it got me wondering if thats what I might have. Everyone seems to have in common the sore throat. Beacuse of my anxiety, I would wake up with my heart beating fast, and feeling like i needed to throw up, at times i basically made myself throw up, which of course was only yellow acid, and now I am wondering if I could have cause LPR. 

I am one very worried lady here. Crossing my fingers its not cancer. 

• Posted

I am finding correct diagnosis very hard as well. I just returned from a hospital stay myself.  I have been to doctor.  my major concern now is the breathing.  I wake up with asthma attack type symptoms  and can't breath.  Doctor had given me an upper and lower GI recently and it was fine.  The weather change symptoms are because when the barometric pressure changes it creates a vacuum in your sinuses and an infection grows.  That was the diagnosis yesterday and doing much better on strong antibiotic already.  I had similar problem many years ago and the doctors wanted to correct deviated septum.  I did not do it.  Now symptoms a little different.  When pressure falls I can't wake up.  Like narcolepsy.  I read there is a new medical specialty just to treat the Silent Reflux. Maybe something will come from that.  I do think, like me it could be various symptoms that chance the face of this disease or syndrome each time and we will need to adjust to the changes instead of one drug for one set of symptoms.  Good luck.  I would like to know what happens with yours.
  • Posted

HI Daxter, 

if all your tests came back normal, have you asked your doc's opinion about esophageal hypersensitivity and functional heartburn?

I read some articles with success stories of treating gerd/lpr patients who do not respond to ppis with low dosage of tricyclic antidepressants e.g. amitriptyline (elavil, endep etc).

• Posted

Hi Daxter

My ENT says we all swallow lots of mucus every day - some are more sensitive. I've just had a Nissen done last week and my symtoms are worse. Have you looked at Laryngeal Sensory Neuropathy.

I have also been told by an eminent reflux expert that allergies can cause similar symtoms. Dairy in particular (casein and whey intolerance),

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.