LPR ? Feeling a bit down

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I've been having some symptoms that which appear to be LPR or "silent reflux".

Lately I've been getting mucus in my throat and constant throat clearing. I constantly have to swallow my throat which becomes tiring. My burps are sudden and always air sometimes I'll try to contain myself and breath and it'll work. I know this is common, I only only find relief if I eat or drink something. The globus feeling comes and goes also. I suspect I have IBS also because of my alternating stools. It sucks to feel like this. Im pretty young. If I do have LPR or GERD does it get better? What are things I can do to improve my lifestyle? Is LPR a thing that I will have to live for the rest of life? 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rowel, don't fret you are lucky you caught it early. Usually most people ignore it and it becomes a sore throat or worse......Buy the book Dropping Acid by Kaufmann. This will bring you up to par on LPR nad how to change your diet and lifestyle. Once you bring your acids down and heal your esophageus your life will become more normal again. Takes most people about 4-8 weeks. Lastly, sleep with your upper body elevated. Either by propping up the headboard on your bed or buy a wedge.
    • Posted

Hi abc1234, was interested about your recent post. It's great to read a positive comment. So with mainly diet changes you can get LPR under control in about 4-8 weeks. That's really encouraging.
    • Posted

Hi, what type of foods do you eliminate? I try to follow the fodmap diet. I to have started getting mucus which is hard toclear. Any extra info helps, was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus when being checked out for something else. Put on a 2 year trial but have found out everything from this site. Not enough info is given to us.
    • Posted

Hi Janet, I don't know about you but I only got a little leaflet from the hospital regarding my condition so like you said any advice or information is gladly received. I'm not particularly overweight but do carry it around my middle. So I'm wondering every time I bend if this makes my reflux worse by pressing on the sphincter? Maybe I could do with losing a stone and see if that helps. Just had my motility test and waiting for the results a the end of the week.
    • Posted

Hi Janet, try yo get a copy of Dropping Acid by Kaufmann. She's the leader in LPR. Also, there is an Australian company that also has a website they have assigned the acidity or PH of many foods. Do a google search for it. Not sure this forum let's us post websites. Until, you find or get either of those I am happy to share however I can. Sample of what I eat; Breakfast whole oat oatmeal with low fat milk. Lunch; 1/2 a chicken breast with some veggies (peas & carrots) and rice or potatoes. Dinner make this you smallest meal and eat early. Eat similar to lunch, but mix it up. You can excahnge the protein for fish or turkey. I drink low fat milk with all meals. Don't overlook the low fat milk (fat free or 1%) it buffers the stomach acids. Do this while you wait for the book for more options. Buy the foods not in a can or mix. Meaning buy frozen or fresh vegiies and whole potatoes. Cook and use no or little oil ie., the protein will need some oil, but pat dry it off after cooking. Potatoes do not need any oil to prepare and same with veggies. I also found great relief from Slow Release 1200 Citracal. I took one tab after dinner. It relieved my night time issues completly. However, it is constipating, but not everyone has this symptom. Of course follow the norm do not lay down flat ever. Sleep on a wedge or incline only after 3+ hours of eating. Bend at the knees not hips. Barretts is serious and I have read if your real strict on the diet and lifestyle you can heal your esophagus. If I can help you or anyone else I am happy to just shoot me a message.     
    • Posted

Thanks, been on fodmap diet which does eliminate lots of thefoods we do not realise can be harmful to us. Chicken /turkey /ham on the bone are my main meats. Yellow fish and liver are the other two main items. Peas carrots parsnips green beans swed on occasion. Do purchase glueton free chicken pies which are really nice. Soya ice cream. It's hard being restricted but you do what you have to.
    • Posted

Yes my main meats, good job I like them, oh and nothing processed.
    • Posted

I would add to look at the ingredients (label) of what you buy. Companies will often add preservatives, which are acidic. You may want to look at your chicken pies, which sound yummy, but during the first 8 weeks I would personally stick to mostly whole foods and if possible made by you.  Be careful with ham since many times it's smoked or cured......You originally asked me what foods to avoid, but that list is much longer than the foods you can eat with AR.
    • Posted

Thanks Janet. Obviously if the results from the motility test is ok then I've got to sort out my problems myself. If it does show I have reflux then it's up to the surgeon to advise what is best!!
    • Posted

This post is old but if you're still out there could you reply please? You were the first positive person I've ever seen write something on one of these boards. I have some questions and could use a little hel positive person I've ever seen write something on one of these boards. I have some questions and could use a little hope!!

• Posted

hi virginia, happy to help anyway i can. i have had 3 people i befriended on boards who no longer are around. two on this website and one on another. i am afraid that 2 might have passed and 1 of those 2 was on the lpr board. it bums me out, but i have to keep positive. is there a posting you want me to reply to?
    • Posted

Never mind. After reading your post now I'm scared to death. It's not exactly very hopeful to hear about people dying from this.

I just refuse to believe that no one ever gets better.

• Posted

don't be scared be proactive. lpr has little concern to me now. the person who i believed passed did not pass b/c of lpr.

• Posted

I'm sorry - I thought you meant the deaths were somehow connected to lpr.

Four years ago I overcame another health crises thanks to positive thinking and the help of a kind person I met online who had the same condition and was kind enough to help me navigate my way back to sanity.

Now after dealing with lpr for 24 years I am hoping to find a way back from this, too.

I'm not sure where to start. I've got an Acid Reflux Diet book. I'm trying so hard to follow it but it is difficult as I am the mother of four young children. It's almost impossible to find the time to make a lot of these recipes but I'm trying (not always perfect but I just started a week ago).

You said lpr doesn't concern you too much these days. Do you mind if I ask what helped - details please!!😀

Thanks so much for taking time to talk with me. God bless you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.