LPR....GERD....HIATUS HERNIA...GOING POTTY!

Posted , 5 users are following.

here we go, app 6  weeks ago I had a w,end starting on the saturday with slightly dodgy tummy, then sunday same feeling with loads of belching and slight headache...sinve the next day mon the 17th july every day since I,ve had a throat acid reflux going in to mouth teeth tingling horrible feelling, no other symptoms, no heartburn or pain anywhere else and its strictly so far diurnal daytime upright only..went to doc put me on 1 a day opramazole for 2 week then up to 2 a day no improvement...took bloods all readings bloodwise superb, bu tested pos for h pylori..so now on 4th day of the triple dosage stronger ppi anti bs etc for a week.....im losing the plot trying to guess whats wrong with me it is a crap way to live...daily acid reflux in mouth, ppis aint doing much as I said ,gaviscon works a treat for a wee while, any ideas folks, cheers Allan x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

First give the H-pylori treatment a fair go. Other things to try are a really good probiotic a sensible diet and sparing on alcohol. Others on this forum  will have more advice on this.

If things don't settle I would think the next tests will be endoscopy and upper GI scan.

H-pylori can cause gastritis and ulcers in some people and these can be fuerther aggravated by stress and poor diet.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

You will need to keep taking your antibiotics and PPIs for the length of time your doctor prescribed otherwise you will not get rid of H pylori.  Since you tested positive for h pylori, this is your diagnosis, trust your doctor.  It is still early days since you have been on medication for a short time.  H pylori can be very hard to eradicate.
    • Posted

thanks pippa...I am aware that the triple pill 7day treatment for h pylori does not always work, a follow up course after a breath test would be next, blood test is a 1 time thing i think...Ive been on PPIS a total of 32 days and ive read for this silent reflux lpr condition it can take way longer if indeed thats what i have but who knows? hope it is the h pylori....there are many symptoms for H py. i wonder if anybody else has had any similar symptoms? i also bought an inversion table for disc issues fab for my back but inversion upside down can put pressure on hiatus hernia and the chronology would match up, i used it for about 3 months most days fixed my back and ..tempted to use a swear word there wouldve been perfect...and hurt my gut! thanks again, and thanks to susie 100...............Allan the cabby

• Posted

Once you have finished your course of medication, if you still have symptoms go back to your doctor and push for an h pylori retest. If you are still disatisfied you can always see someone else for another opinion.  In the meantime, try to relax because stressing about your symptoms will make you worse.
  • Posted

Calm down Allan all will be well that’s the first thing, second what exactly do you have with regards to diagnoses, have you had a gastroscopy or any other tests to date apart from the HP??  What dose Omeprazole are you taking, when & how (yes this is important). Gaviscon is fine but not within 2 hrs of your PPI (before or after).  But it works well if taking the PPI in the morning and the gav just before you jump into bed.  Now PPIs will take time to work, I have read many test result papers and although the results state 4-8 weeks are the norm to heal I have and others have not found this to be the case, closer to 8-12 months and then long term treatment with them.  HP can take many courses of Anti Bi etc and some never get rid of it, now don't panic because many have it just like a HH but it gives them no problems. Come back Allan with some more details.  Also I assume you’re a cabby??  As such sat in a driving position all day will not be helping.  Now there is light at the end of the tunnel but please let us know the details mate, many of us on here have suffered for years and with all due respect to the Doctors and Consultants many of us also know from experience that they can and do miss the most basic of conditions which only frustrates the situation.   

• Posted

I completely agree with Dave, sensible advice, also Pippa.

I myself have had a few bouts of HP over the years. My symptoms are usually the  sickly headache, pain in my chest, back and upper stomach. I also get a weird nerve pain down the back of my upper left arm and burping.

I recently thought the HP was back but tested negative. Interestingly I didn't have the nerve pain but had all the other symptoms with more burping.

An endoscopy found erosive gastritis and after a  three months of PPI's and a repeat endoscopy it was almost clear. I still  have Some symptoms and suspect the PPI's may be causing them but not sure. A daily probiotic is helping. My theory is that years of HP  infections have left me with a sensitive stomach.

I think you need to wait and see if your treatment works Allan, no point in worrying about anything else yet.

Dave, have you any experience of the natural route for HP eradication? 

• Posted

Very true Susie, the meds including all PPIs can give you the exact symptoms or worse then the 'trouble' itself.  I now self dose with Pantoprazole (due to the low doses eg 20mg pan = 10 mg Om and you can go to 80mg/day).  I try but its sometimes difficult to stick to the lowest dose and just mix and match so to speak.  Without any meds I'm back to erosive gastritis? like yourself within 12 months but that's a long story.  Meds = problems no meds = problems lol.  Just have to make the best of a bad thing after 30 years of yo-yoing. But back to Allan, without the 99.9% result from an endoscopy? your Doctor is back to the dark ages and is guessing.  Its not nice and my last one made my condition worse for over a month (a bit too rough this time) but at least you know 99.9% what's there and what's not there. Its the only method for seeing a HH and the next is a CT scan with contrast.  I've seen so many cases on here where the docs don't send you for these test which without them they are guessing, ok its an educated guess but should we be happy with an educated guess??  Sorry my reply is so long.  Now don't panic, this is just an example of Doctors missing something but its 100% correct and true. My mum in laws cousin just died after her doctor missed Pan Cancer following a year's worth of visits!! The practice nurse had to intervene when she turned yellow and still the doctor said all was well!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Posted

Thanks Allan, not been back to GP, will ask for them. I was really ill too after my last endoscopy.

I agree with some doctors lack of attention. I went for years to my GP with sciatica and they diagnosed piriformas syndrome due to arthritis in my hip. Just x-ray no MRI.

It got so painful I was given a hip replacement still no MRI. 9months later with excruciating pain and 5 months physio for my hip I was given an MRI.

My physiotherapist had been sending me back and forwards to the GP because of saddle numbness and suspected spinal problems to no avail,  he just kept upping the Gabapentin. When I started to have bladder problems she got the results of the MRI and found it was severe spinal stenosis and cord compression she told me to go to casualty if I had another accident.

That weekend I had another bladder accident and went to casualty. I was given an emergency Laminectomy. Dread to think where I would be now if that physiotherapist hadn't stuck her neck out. As it is I have some nerve damage.

Since then I have also had a lumber discectomy and 3 months ago a 2 level anterior cervical discectomy.

Perhaps you might know why before endoscopy they ask if you've had major surgery? As I've had 4 surgeries in 3 1/2 years I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my gastritis. 

Allan I hope you get sorted and sorry for my little rant, hope it hasn't put you off😊 I guess the message here is don't just be fobbed off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.