LPR/GERD worried about cancer.

Posted , 6 users are following.

To cut a long story short, over the past year I suffered terrible from health anxiety resulting in me being left with some nasty things due to stress such as LPR and GERD. 

I had a endoscopy last year that come back clear. However I keep seeing things saying LPR causes cancer but LPR (silent reflux) also can’t be cured apparently. What concerns me about this is that I’m only 23!. Everyday I have chronic belching, post nasal drip, sore throat, itchy ears and my throat/neck feels swollen with it. When I feel like this a lot of the time it’s hard to ignore and not be a little worried about the future consequences of not knowing how to fix/get rid of this. I really don’t want to kick my health anxiety off again so looking of reaurance/tips/advice for this condition and how to deal with it and ultimately just feel a little better to? 

Any advice is really appreciated!! 

Amy smile 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes reflux can be a bit worrisome. Everyone knows getting in under control is the best way to be sure and regular check ups. After 5 years of scoping and medication doctor said I was good and tissue was back to normal. Haven't needed scoping in a few years no reflux issues still on meds.

it also sounds like swelling  &  issues is a allergy. It could be a simple fix as allergy meds. Check with your doctor.

• Posted

Hi can I ask what meds you are on for past five years?
    • Posted

Hi the meds taken for several years and some are now non prescription are Nexium, prosolsec, Zantac. Liquid OTC antiacids. 

I also changed my diet kept a journal,of foods that trigger attacks.

And never take medications on empty stomach .One of the best tips from my doctor we’re not to eat past 8 pm and sleep with a wedge keeping head above stomach to prevent the stomach acid from following down the throat. 

• Posted

Hi Amy

I'm the same as you, developed reflux from a health scare, are you on any medication for it, have you considered meditation or acupuncture, is you diet good

• Posted

Hi Kate, 

I’m actually not on medication for it at the minute. Due to my anxiety I’m on citalopram and it not sure if you can mix meds. I know I wasn’t allowed to take lanzoperol (however you spell it) with them but to be honest I never felt like they did much for me anyway when I was on them. At the moment I just try to carry around gaviscon just incase. My diet isn’t the best to be honest but I wouldn’t say it was terrible 

• Posted

From what I understand you can keep it from progressing. Elevate your

Bed 6 to 8 inches at the headboard.

Gravity will keep acid it down.

It’s good to get on ppi’s .

They definitely have their pros and cons but you definitely want to keep acid from burning your esophagus,  throat and nose.

I’m on Omerprazole 20mg, 

Totally change your diet and eat superhealthy . tomatoes, chocolate, acid fruits, or all bad for acid 

• Posted

I suffered for almost a year till it got so bad I finally went to the doctor. I too had sore throats, stuffy nose so bad I hadn't been able to breathe unless it was by mouth. I had chest pains, pressure, back ache plus more. Went to doctor had barium swallow and endoscopy. I have been on omprezole and vitamins, and strict diet. No caffeine, spices, soda, and alcohol. 21/2 months later all is gone. Major thing is no earache, sore throat, i can breathe again. My gastro doctor said alot of people complain of stuffy nose and earache. Mine was not allergies. I feel your pain but it does get better. Stress is a major coulpret in Gerd! Try to walk away from Stress! Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.