Lpr/hoarseness

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed in April with lpr. Although I feel I really had it since Feb and it was diagnosed with allergies and post nasal drip. This hoarseness has taken a toll. I was put on raniditine 300 mg at night. Finally I went to a gastro last week and she put me on protonix. I hope this helps but haven't seen much improvement yet. I'm so sick of this hoarseness and deep voice. Has anyone had this? How long did it take to go away? I'm trying natural remedies as well. Just tired of sounding like crap. I need my voice for my job. Help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Difficult one I guess. I'm having it for already 2 years. With sore throats all day. Only things that help:

- Low acid food consequently.

- Sit long after eating and drinking to get the food down.

- For me: not too much walking and running because the gas comes out (small burps) and sore throat is back.

- Sometimes some Gaviscon (advance / liquid form) helps.

I tried Baclofen. It helps a bit, but for me isn't a very nice drug because of side effects. Maybe some day there are better drugs on the market.

• Posted

Thanks for the help. Mine is not a sore throat just mucous and hoarseness . Just sick of it. It's not allergy post nasal drip either,

• Posted

Hi nancy85328,I have just found this.post,I to have mucus and hoarseness,I have been treated for post nasal drip,it did improve,but i was still hoarse,went back to my gp who treated me for silent reflux and the oral thrush from my inhalers,so now I have had a chest xray and going to see ear nose and throat this week,stress.levels are through the roof and it is making it worse.
  • Posted

LPR (properly called extra-oesophagea reflux) is frequently misunderstood or misdiagnosed. It is the mechanical action of refluxate from the stoomach into the oesohagus continuing full clumn whence it can breach the upper oesophageal sphincter into the respiratory system.

Jamie Kauffman labelled it LPR / Silent Reflux / Respiratory Refux which has made people more aware of it. (Unfortunately she then went on to erroneously propound theories of it being caused by acidic foods. )

Suppressing acid with PPIs (a chemical action) does not stop reflux, nor does changing diet nor any of the so called 'natural' remedies. It is a mechanical action that needs to be managed as such. It's the reflux that needs to be stopped which can only be done by the lifestyle changes and if they don't help, surgical intervention.

(See the section of the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk on "Reflux Reduction Techniques" ) .

Lose weigt if necesssary. Do not overfill your stomach - eat little and often. Avoid tight clothing, Avoid exercise after food that will compress, tilt or shake your stomach - though gente walking helps the peristaltic action to propel the food to the duodenum. Leave at least 3 hours between last meal and going to bed. Raise the head of the bed by 6 to 8 inches on blocks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.