LPR - Mucus Symptoms

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am a 26 year old who was recently told by an ENT doctor that I have LPR. When I first went to the doctor, I was suffering from a sore throat on one side, a dry cough that had lasted for 4-5 weeks, and constant mucus in my throat that I worked up throughout the day. My ENT doctor basically stuck a mirror into the back of my throat, and said based on my symptoms I was presenting, and what he could see, that I had LPR. He told me to take PPIs twice a day for a month and see how things go. It has been about a month, and things have started to slightly get better. My sore throat and swallowing issues went away, and my cough is much less frequent than it had been previously. 

The reason I'm posting is because of my phlegm issue. Every day I am still working up yellow phlegm from my throat, and normally it turns into a thick clear mucus by the end of the day. The mucus is starting to drive me nuts, and from reading other posts I am worried that I will be stuck with this phlegm for years before something is figured out. If anyone out there that has had similar issues has any recommendations or assistance, I would really appreciate it. 

I am also slightly concerned about my ENT doctor that I saw. Would he be able to diagnose me with just a mirror down my throat? I asked if it would be better to do a scope, and he said with the view that he had, he wouldn't be able to get a better view with his scope. Thanks!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The mucus you describe is a classic LPR symptom. I also, have had the ENT screening as well as an upper endoscopy with the same diagnosis. My main complaint has been the horsiness of my voice. First med prescribed was an H2 blocker 300mg/day. No change. Now on 40mg/day ppi med and after a month on that no change. Expecting my next Gastro visit in June will up the dose. If no change after that I think I'll just live with it.

• Posted

I've had no issues with hoarseness of the voice which I've heard is a common issue with LPR. Mine has just been the constant throat clearing and phlegm. I may schedule a second visit in the next month or so, but from most discussions that I've read, many people don't have a choice but to live with the symptoms. I'm on 40mg/day as well right now, and although my cough and sore throat have improved, the mucus seems never-ending. I haven't attempted to seriously change my diet much yet, but it sounds like that is the next step for me. 

• Posted

I have noticed that diet might have a lot to do with the amount of mucus too. Seems like when I have sugar and gluten it triples the amount I have. If I stay strictly to whole foods with a ph of 5 or above it usually is mild or I don't notice it all. I hope this helpssmile

• Posted

Do you smoke? becsuse smoming causes phlem I stopped smokibg about 5 months ago and still get phelm always clear
    • Posted

Nope, I'm not a smoker. My phlegm is especially bad in the morning, and typically gets better throughout the day. Normally yellowish. 

• Posted

Hey brewcrew, was just wondering how you feel right now? It’s been 4 months since you last posted. Did your phlegm get better or worse? If you need any help or have any question you can ask me. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.