Lpr or throat cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

It's been 4 weeks now that I've had a sore throat. More of a irritated throat. Like a burning sensation

Dry mouth

Tongue feels chapped

Some ear ache

Some nasal drip in morning

Feeling a lump in throat when I swallow my own sylvia not with food/drink

I went to dr 4 weeks ago and dr gave antibiotic which did nothing to me. He also gave me anti acid medication I have take before I go sleep. But nothing has worked. I have an next Monday with ent but I can't help but be freaked out with throat cancer . I am not a smoker or drink but on occasions. But I was diagnosed with hpv a fews ago after my son was born. N there is always a possibility of hpv turning into throat cancer. It's not common among women but now a days u can get cancer just by breathing.

So nervous!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

More likely reflux, silent reflux can cause all these things and you dont get the associated heartburn. Anxiety can cause a lump in yhe throat feeling too
    • Posted

I have been dealing with anxiety, and I did feel the lump in throat before, but never with a sore irritated throat before. It's just been horrible these past 4 weeks. At first I took all the throat meds over counter n nothing worked. Now I just drink slot of water, take lozenges and I eat less cuz I feel like I don't enjoy my food anymore.
  • Posted

I use to suffer dreadfully with throat problems. As soon as I went on the PPI to control my acid reflux, the problem went away. BTW anti acid medication didn't help. 

Wouldn't be surprised if its not something simple like this. Unless you are losing weight I would strike cancer off the list. 

• Posted

I have lost weight but it's more because I don't feel like eating cuz I feel eveything I eat gives reflux .

My dr put me on ranitidine??

• Posted

I don't think that is a PPI . My Dr put me on an 8 week trial of the PPI and it made a world of difference
  • Posted

hi magali. your concern is very common and try not to worry. i can only talk about my own experience, but i had the same concern before being diagnosed. try to eat a low acid diet and give it about a week to show some changes. oatmeal for breakfast no butter, sugar...rice, veggies, and chicken for lunch no seasoning. let the food settle for 3 hours before laying down. lay on a wedge or prop the bed up from the headboard to create an incline. or sleep on a recliner.  it took me about 4 days of this before feeling better. your throat/mouth needs to heal.
    • Posted

I have been with this for 4 weeks. At times I feel it getting better. And then the next day it's back where it started.

I am miserable

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like LPR and don't sound like cancer symptoms.

Go to www DownWithAcid org uk and find the chapter on Extra-Oesophageal Reflux. It describes the condition and the common symptoms and causes and subsequent chapters also describe management.

Acid suppressant medication like PPIs (eg omeprazole) and H2 blockers (eg ranitidine) will reduce the acidity of the refluxate to make it less damaging but won't stop the reflux itself which, aspirating into the respiratory system cause the throat, mouth, nose and ear problems.

The lump in the throat feeling is "globus" caused by the cricopharungeal muscle attempting to prevent the reflux at the upper oesophageal sphincter.

• Posted

Thank you I will look it up and read more. However I don't have an apt with ent until next Monday so I feel my hands tied. 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.