LPR/Post Nasal Drip/Globus?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey all - So, I got a really bad cold virus end of January and I didn't take anything for it, was tested for the flu, negative, strep, negative. A few days went by and the cold symptoms went away, but I had a cough that seemed to last 2-3 weeks then trickled away....however, I continued to have this feeling of post nasal drip in my throat or like something was there, but it wasn't...it wasn't very bad, but noticeable...didn't make me lose sleep or anything at night.

I went to my primary care doctor about mid feb and she was like try taking Flonase and saline spray and see if that helps you...well nothing helped there it actually made my nose sting after about 3 weeks of using it. I went to my primary care doctor now mid March and again tested me for Flu & strep came back negative...shes like okay let me send you to the ENT and luckily was able to see one within 2 days. 

She did the scope up the nose and down the throat and she's like well the good news is everything looks good....she said you have a thick white mucus stuck to your vocal chords which is probably what you are feeling there. I explained how I have tried Flonase, mucinex, saline spray, and she's like do you ever have heartburn? I am like eh maybe once every couple of months and I take a tum and it's fine. She said it sounds like you like have silent reflux and the acid from your stomach is going into your throat and that's what made the thick mucus stay on my vocal chords....I said ok so what can we do to fix this? She's like I am going to put you on omeprazole for two times a day (20 MG each time) for 2 months and she's like after a few weeks if you feel better just drop down to once a day.

Update as of 4/13 - Have been cut back to just taking the Omerprazole once per day, in the morning as of last Friday. Like I said before after about 3 days of taking the Omerprazole the "lump" in my throat seemed to go away. Today marks 1 month since I have been on the Omerprazole and I don't even know if it's really helping and I would prefer to stop it. I have 1 month left to take it before going back to my appointment with my ENT. I was looking at the results from my initial consult with her and it says.. 

Diagnoses 

Post Nasal Drip 

Globus Sensation 

LPR 

The only thing I occasionally feel now is that I have like post nasal drip going down...some days are better than others, but it is CONSTANTLY on my mind, every single day wake up to go to sleep. The thing is I get relief when I lay down and when I go to sleep it's amazing I sleep flat no issue and when I wake up I feel fine it's not till about 10/11am that it sometimes feels like I gotta clear my throat but I try not to think about it. I have changed my diet and have tried to eat a lot better this last month, but honestly, I have never had an issue with my eating....I am 6 feet tall, 200 lbs (could lose a few LB's), and my doctors say I am very healthy from all the blood tests and other tests I have done. Get my yearly physical and have a really great relationship with my primary care who I can see whenever. 

The reason that I feel she told me I had LPR was this.....she looks with with scope says you have white mucus on your vocal chords and it's probably from the virus you had that never fully cleared up. She goes do you have heartburn at all? I said I maybe get it once per month or every other month and I take 1 tum and it goes away....she's like you well it sounds like you have LPR from what you tell me...but she said my throat looks great minus that white mucus. 

Honestly, this is taking over my life and I am having my first baby in May so I am hoping that takes my mind off things....but of course, I google and read all these stories from you all and freak out all the time and really just look forward to going to bed so I don't think about it. 

Could this be sinus related? She did say you have a post nasal drip and shes like I wonder if that's contributing to it....I wrote her an email about a week after my appointment and asked her if I could cut back on the meds because I felt like it was giving me abdominal pain and felt like sometimes I was having a heart attack (as soon as I dropped back to 1 day it's been way better). Here is her response back to me.... 

I would recommend continuing it twice daily for two weeks and then decrease to once daily. If you notice that symptoms return after decreasing dose, you can increase again to twice daily. 

The prilosec helps to heal the vocal cords and this decreases the mucus that is present, so continuing the medication is the treatment. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Just bumping this up
  • Posted

Hi all - just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me? 

I tried cutting back on the Omerprazole every other day this week and didn't take it one day and the globus feeling came back a little bit, but wasn't too bad so I just went back to taking it once per day since I only have 3 weeks left before I go back to my ENT.

Can you have Globus without having LPR? I could be under a bit of stress because my wife and I are expecting our first baby any day now, but I am usually not a stressed person or at least I don't know show it. 

I go back to my ENT for a follow up in a few weeks. I feel like I want more tests to see what it really is as it's definitely on mind constantly all day everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.