LPR Reflux issues! Nothing seems to work :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I'm a 26 year old male. It's been about a year since I started developing reflux issues. In this time I have never experienced any heartburn. My post nasal drip has worsened. However I know it's not solely post nasal drip, because my symptoms typically flare after meals or coffee. 

I have stopped drinking coffee and this did help. However I still react to most foods. Dairy tends to make things worse and I think I might also be lactose intolerant. I tend to get gassy after having dairy. I noticed taking high doses of lactase is helpful prior to meals.

Basically the reflux is worst in the mornings and then next to this it flares most after meals. I'll be gagging, threat clearing and puking at it's worst. I have tried ranitidine 150mg twice daily and I tried a PPI as well. They both negatively impacted my ability to digest foods and didn't help with lpr.

I saw an ENT about 6 weeks ago. He suggested I try ranitidine again at 150mg but 4 times daily. I did research into this and studies do show this to be more effective at reducing acid when compared to 300 mg twice daily. So I recently decided to try this. I eat 4 meals a day so I take it before meals. It's been 2 weeks and for a week and a half I had the relief of waking up in the morning without major reflux! However I developed a cough during this time. Not sure why, but I hadn't had a cough last that long for awhile, and I didn't appear to be sick. Now in the past few days my reflux has worsened and my ability to digest certain things has worsened. I have more gas, but this could've been because of these lentils and chickpeas I was eating raw. 

So now my plan is to stick with raintindine, and my diet will be very low in fiber. I'm going to switch to white pasta and bread. I will also decrease carbs a bit and increase fats and proteins slightly. 

I'm kind of at a loss as to what I can do. I'm going to commit to ranitidine for 12 weeks before quitting. I basically want to determine if it's worth trying. Or if I should give up completely on it. I will try diet and lifestyle changes throughout to see if this can also help.   

Lastly, I have tried increasing my acid through hcl and pepsin. This didn't help and made things worse it seemed. So I don't think lack of acid is the problem. Who knows though. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! This has been causing me a lot of stress 

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gaviscon advanced is a thick liquid that sits on top of you stomach and stops the acid coming up take after meals and at bedtime 
  • Posted

And I forgot to say it also cools the burning feeling you get with reflux 
  • Posted

Thanks for the information everyone. 

For now I will try lowering my carbs, taking a digestive enzyme in capsules before every meal. Take lactase before dairy meals. I'll also take probiotics before every meal. I'll also take slippery elm lozenges after meals. I seem to react poorly to betaine hcl with pepsin so I'll exclude that for now. 

I will look into gaviscon if things don't improve. This will all start Wednesday ordered it on amazon :p

• Posted

I also suggest drinking plenty of water, but not close to any mealtimes. At least half an hour before or after meals, nothing more. Outside of meals drink plenty of water. And here is a bonus: NEVER COLD WATER! Cold water gives me instant reflux and gagging. It's like it irritates the muscles in my throat. Drink all your water at normal non-refrigerated temp.

Aronia juice also is supposed to help soothe your throat and abdomen muscles. And sleeping upright helps a lot too, sleeping flat puts a lot of pressure on your eosophagaus.

Also stay away from coffee, it's the worst cause of acidity and reflux.

These are all things which I did in my road to recovery. After a while I got a lot better and my reflux calmed.

• Posted

Thanks DMP. I started last night taking gaviscon extra strength after every meal and it's helped quite a lot I think. I also started this evening with digestive enzymes and a probiotic.

However I am quite dizzy and haven't experienced this type of dizziness before. I'm assuming it might be the gaviscon. Also some stomach discomfort. Nothing too major though, I'll keep track of how I'm feeling. I'll go with luke warm water and try to drink more smile

• Posted

Also going to use slippery elm lozenges as needed. I no longer drink coffee and I might lift my bed up a bit. I use a roll of carpet under the top end and it works perfect haha
  • Posted

What does everyone think about taking ranitidine before meals and gaviscon following meals? 
    • Posted

Okay I'll give that a try! I might ditch the probiotic for now. I'm getting stomach pain and I can't determine what it is when trying so many things. I'll go with ranitidine and gaviscon for a week. I'll also try a couple days with no milk, if I notice any stomach discomfort. I'll take 150mg lactase just before drinking milk. I read that this is the best time to do it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.