LPR (silent reflux)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

So a few months ago i started experiencing acid reflux. My GP prescribed omeprazole which helped but since then ive still had terrible nasal congestion, feeling of a lump in my throat, need to burp a lot, throat clearing, feeling of something stuck on my vocal chords, heaviness in my chest/throat when i bend over or turn my head and pain in the back of my neck.

i saw a gastro consultant who said he thinks its LPR perhaps caused by a hiatus hernia from pregnancy a year ago. Also said highly unlikely but also need an endoscopy to confirm this and rule out canceroo which he thinks is unlikely due to my age.

my OGD is in 2.5 weeks. i am really anxious because although most of my symptoms point to reflux i worry that the pain is something sinister. does anyone else get pain? it's like a deep pain, not a burning.

thanks for reading.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Kirsty

I have suffered for years with reflux. I get throat clearing, burping, acid pain in my stomach and throat, even the roof of my mouth, my ears and also get nasal congestion. So, yes it can be very painful and it keeps me awake at night. I have not had pain in my neck from reflux but do get neck problems which I attribute to sleeping at an angle to help stop reflux. I have been taking 30mg of Lansoprazole each morning but I get throat clearing straight after breakfast. I can't take any other meds for reflux for 2 hrs but then take Rennies and water which stops the throat clearing. I take either Rennies or Gaviscon Advance after each meal and Gaviscon Advance at night. I have raised my bed with two bricks each side AND use a wedge pillow to keep my head above my stomach. I still get acid pain behind my breastbone and in my stomach and it is sometimes VERY painful and the medicine doesn't always work. I get up and have milk sometimes which occasionally helps. I have had endoscopies, manometry tests and PH tests and have been told no surgery will help. I have been prescribed an antidepressant, which is used for pain control (Nortriptyline) which has side effects. I stopped after several years and tried hynotherapy and accupuncture, suggested by the surgeon, as I did not want to continue with Nortriptyline but nothing has worked yet. Currently I am trying Nortriptyline again. I have cut out tomatoes, most fruit, (except ripe bananas, pears and melon), spicy food, pepper, leeks, cream. yoghurt(!), chocolate, alcohol, tea and coffee, fennel tea, all table sauces. If anyone knows of any medication that would help me I would be delighted to hear from them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.