LPR/Silent Reflux - Rinitidine and Gaviscon

Posted , 8 users are following.

This may be a daft question but I'll ask anyway!

I have been suffering with mucous, throat clearing, cough and a burning/bitter taste for the past few months. Diet changes have helped an awful lot but not eliminated all my symptons. Before I changed my diet, the bitter acid evil taste was unbearable......

I finally made some headway today with my GP who suggested LPR (before I mentioned it) and I have been prescribed a months course of rinitidine to take alongside Gaviscon. Now the question I have is in what order to take the Gaviscon and Rinitidine. I understand that the Gavison acts as a raft on top of the stomach contents to prevent them leaking back up into the throat/mouth so if I take the Rinitidine first, will the 'raft' prevent the rinitidine from getting into my system? On the other hand, if I take the Rinitidine AFTER the Gaviscon, I believe I will break the raft?!?!

I'm also on thyroid medication which I have to take in the morning and am not allowed to take other medications within 4 hours due to absorption issues!

Thanks all xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This isn't a daft question at all. I take Rinitidine, Gaviscon, two types of blood pressure medication and a statin, so I know how you feel about making sure you're getting the best from your medication. You're right about Gaviscon forming a raft. The GP also told me that, if you take other medication at the same time, the Gaviscon will wrap itself around the tablet and you won't get the benefit. The Gaviscon website says you shouldn't take Gaviscon Advance within two hours of any other medication.

So, I take the Ranitidine before breakfast, then my blood pressure medication afterwards. I wait until lunchtime before taking Gaviscon and take it after lunch and after my evening meal. I then wait two hours before taking the evening Ranitidine, then the statin before I go to bed. As long as you leave that two hour gap, I'm sure it will be fine.

Hope this helps and that the Ranitidine and Gaviscon improve things for you.

• Posted

Disclaimer: of course, you should ask the GP about this. However, logic says to take the raniditine before you make the raft with the Gaviscon.
  • Posted

Hi Susan

I think that's what I was thinking too!

Thank you x

• Posted

I think I will drop my bedtime Gaviscon and just take it after my evening meal then the rinitidine at bedtime smile
  • Posted

I think we are supposed to take raniditine 30- 60 minutes before meals.
  • Posted

When I was taking Lansoprazole I had to take it 30-60 minutes before food, but the patient information leaflet with Ranitidine simply says 150mg twice a day. I understand that it can also be taken with or without food. Does taking medication 30-60 minutes only apply to PPIs?
  • Posted

I don't know about the other medication, which works differently. I took a PPI for just a few days and it made me feel ill. I do know that ranitidine, which is not a PPI, is supposed to be taken before you eat.
  • Posted

Having suffered from reflux problems for many years and currently experiencing a bad flare up I would be very grateful to know how you changed your diet ??  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.