LPR, some questions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have some questions for anyone with this annoying condition. I read somewhere it all many times started after an upper respiratory infection.

It is so in my case, because i had pretty bad angina back in 2012 and since than my throat feels weird and in discomfort.

I first thougt tissues have inflammed and lost the ability to come back to normal. I cant accept living with this for the rest of my life, i am 34 and otherwise healthy. But i am with nerves on the verge suffering with difficult inhaling air, throat clearing, trouble concentrating on anything basically. I even read so many depressing stories that it is a life long condition and nothing can be done.

Is there a connection between angina or flu and a damage to esophageal muscles?

If nothing helps, is Nissan fundoplication the only option?

Is alkaline water safe and how much per day and when?

I will try every possible diet and will start begging for money for operation if necesarry smile

Thanks for your attention, i wish you good luck with your health.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi, mine started after 2.weeks of really bad tonsillitis. With your angina did you take any pain killers like ibuprofen? I was taking a lot and I know it can aggravate your stomach. I think this might be what set mine off. X
    • Posted

Thanks for reply. No, i havent taken anything for angina in 2012. Maybe this was a mistake..

I am also interested and forgot to ask in my post what causes breathlessness in LPR. Is it tissue enlargment due to inflammation or some chemical reaction with pepsin or stomach acid that cause something in blood so that it cant transfer oxygen?!?

• Posted

Read the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux in the www DownWithAcid org uk book. (You may even find other symptoms you have you didn't realise were related! )

Reflux at the upper oesophageal sphincter can aspirate into the respiratory system and cause many respiratory problems.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your condition.

LPR (correctly termed "Extra-Oesophageal Reflux" ) may be associated with respiratory infection but it's chicken and egg. Does the respiratory infection trigger LPR or, more likely, is LPR the cause of respiratory infection? (See the "Other related conditions" section of the free www DownWithAcid org uk book. )

As you know, Angina is a heart condition rather than a respiratory one but sometimes symptoms similar to angina are experienced by refluxers. (I, myself, had to have tests to rule out angina when my reflux was bad. )

Your symptoms may well be from reflux but could be from other causes so it's worth having them investigated by a doctor.

If reflux persists and you are unable to manage it any other way, surgery is the best option. (I had the Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and it was the best thing I ever did, giving me my life back. )

Regarding diet. There is a lot of rubbish spoken about it. It is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on your reflux. Reducing portion sizes (and eating more frequently as required) is a better answer.

And alkaline water is a hoax perpetrated by the bottled water industry. Google "alkaline water hoax" if you wish. As one site puts it: "The simplest reason that you know Alkaline water is a scam is that the stomach is always acid. If the acid is low, your stomach simply pumps in more. "

From another article: "Drinking alkaline water causes chemical changes within the body that affect the health and function of your heart. In a study published in the Journal of Toxicology Science in 1998, researchers found that rats given alkaline water to drink suffered from hardening and cell damage of the heart muscles. Drinking alkaline water lead to increased enzymes, potassium levels and weight gain and resulted in damage to the rats' hearts. When rats were given regular tap water, none of the rats experienced any of these changes. "

I have only ever found one scientific paper that supports alkaline water. It was written by the voice coach ("doctor" ? ) who came up with the term LPR and promotes alkaline water which she sells.

• Posted

As always, you gave me a lot of informations, so a big thanks , Sir. Yes, mine is unbearable, i cant even read newspapers or watch tv without constantly being strangled and smothered. I have every possible -itis- above my chest. Redness of throat walls, uvulitis, my uvula is twice the size as before, otherwise no heartburn. Just lump in throat feeling, redness,soreness and feeling of air hunger 24 hours per day.
  • Posted

LPR is a condition that occurs in a person who has gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Acid made in the stomach travels up the esophagus (swallowing tube). When that stomach acid gets to the throat, it is called laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Yes. I have this.

Do NOT:

Eat acidic, spicy, and fatty foods

Drink alcohol

Smoke tobacco

Drink caffeine-containing beverages (tea, coffee, soda, etc.)

Eat chocolate

Eat mint or mint-flavored foods

Wear tight or binding clothing

Become overly stressed – learn tools to help manage or reduce stress levels

DO:

Maintain a healthy weight

Avoid eating less than 2 hours before bedtime

Elevate the head of your bed 5 inches

Perhaps these suggestions will help.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Thanks Judith. Yes, i will do everything on your list. It should give me relief after a while. Thanks for your help and attention.

Uros.

• Posted

Whereas you have provided excellent lifestyle modification advice, I would take issue regarding the propagated dietary myths.

Recent research has confirmed it's not what we eat but how we eat that causes reflux. Reflux is a mechanical action that is not the result of acid, though it may carry acid which can cause damage. Reflux at the upper end of the oesophagus doesn't have to be acidic to be termed LPR.

Neither acidic nor spicy foods will cause reflux (nor alter the acidity of the stomach) . We may think they could be harmful as we may feel a burn at the back of our throat or discomfort lower down if we already have oesophagitis. It's like pouring lemon juice on a cut. In some cases, it can hurt but won't cause harm.

(My patient support charity for those with acid reflux problems has a regular annual curry evening instigated by our senior consultant gastroenterologist! )

Fatty foods may attract bile to be released into the stomach to permit the stomach acid to break it down. If bile refluxes along with acid, it can result in the development of Barrett's Oesophagus.

Drugs like alcohol and caffeine can relax the lower oesophageal sphincter exacerbating reflux. However, if someone has a hiatus hernia (the most common reason for reflux) these relaxations will actually make no difference.

Regarding foods. If you identify any foods that are a particular trigger for you, avoid them. If other foods don't affect you, there's no need to stop imbibing them. 

• Posted

I found out that the worst throat feeling i have is right after consuming a soup, no matter what kind of it is, tomato,vegetable..

Is it hot foods that cause inflammation? That might be it. Another thing is coffe, also minutes after coffe i get very sore and red throat. Also when i wake up every single morning with dry mouth and throat. It only gets a liitle better if i dont think anything at all and drink a lot of water.

I will have 24h esophageal manometry soon. Maybe they find something wrong. And this night i read about H pylori, this is the only diagnose i officially have, because LPR i diagnosed myself with. Regarding H pylori, it says it sends acid upwards to create conditions for itself. It might explain all, low stomach acid and other stuff from stomach coming up all due to this bacteria?!

• Posted

LPR is a condition that occurs in a person who has gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Acid made in the stomach travels up the esophagus (swallowing tube). When that stomach acid gets to the throat, it is called laryngopharyngeal reflux.

Yes. I have this.

Do NOT:

Eat acidic, spicy, and fatty foods

Drink alcohol

Smoke tobacco

Drink caffeine-containing beverages (tea, coffee, soda, etc.)

Eat chocolate

Eat mint or mint-flavored foods

Wear tight or binding clothing

Become overly stressed – learn tools to help manage or reduce stress levels

DO:

Maintain a healthy weight

Avoid eating less than 2 hours before bedtime

Elevate the head of your bed 5 inches

Perhaps these suggestions will help.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi I'm like 90% sure I have this. I'm pretty sure the only reason I've had problems this long is because for the longest time doctors would just say I don't know what's wrong with you. This started for me a year ago after having pneumonia. I've been on a ppi for around two weeks and hopefully it will help my gastritis and esophagitis that was said to have been found during my endoscopy. My symptom is mainly a barking cough. When I breathe in I get a tickling sensation in my chest and throats that can't be ignored. I've found I do feel worse after eating and when I first wake up in the morning. On my good days I won't have much tickling in my chest and throat but usually my throats will feel tight when I breathe in or like there's irritation in my throat. I wish I had some advice but I guess I just wanted to share my story so that you know you're not alone rolleyes. And I'm only 18 so I don't plan on coughing for forever smile

• Posted

Hi Zuri,

It is so important to get the front two feet at the head of your bed elevated...they sell plastic forms you just put under the legs...this will hold the acid in yourcstomach as you sleep.

Cough is caused by refluxing acid...get sugar free cough drops and keep pne in your mouth...this will increase saliva production, increase swallowing and push the acid towards the stomach.

Get TUMS antacid tablets...flavored are best...suck on one to counter act the acid in your esophagus..it will also reduce the acid in your stomach.

Nope, you will not cough forever!

,hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi Judith!

Thanks so much for the advice! I've been sleeping on a pillow wedge lately but I never thought of elevating my feet when I sleep. Nor have I tried tums so these are two new things in my list I will definitely get on to try ASAP.

Zuri smile

• Posted

This does sound like extra-oesophageal reflux. Aspirating into the lungs it can cause pneumonia. (See the secyion on "Other Related Conditions" in the www DownWithAcid org uk book. )

The problem is anything refluxing can aspirate. It doesn't have to be acidic.

Raising the head end of the bed helps gravity to keep contents down. It is bad advice to raise the feet. This could prevent the stomach from emptying into the dudenum. Once the stomach has emptied, there's nothingmuch to reflux.

Although sucking some cough sweets can numb the throat and reduce the cough reflex, if reclining, it can produce extra saliva that can trickle into the trachea, particulalrly if the cricopharyngeus is struggling to try and prevent reflux at the top of the oesophagus.

• Posted

Oh darn. Thanks for letting me know. If you have any other advice I'd appreciate it since the ppi or anything else for that matter isn't resolving my symptoms.

• Posted

Hi, i think Judith meant raise the two front feet of the bed, not your feet.
    • Posted

Hi Zuri,

You lift as in elevate the legs of your bed, not the legs on your body.

• Posted

Hi, I assume you mean the legs of your bed at the head end? That's what I've done and it really helps so I can recommend it. Xx

• Posted

Hi Barretts

The reason it helps reduce reflux is that it is much more difficult for the reflux to travel the sharper incline.

kind regards

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.