LPR symptoms worse in evening?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is that normal? My symptoms seem the worst after dinner. I'm not doing anything like eating too much or laying down after eating. I take my evening dose of Nexium shortly after dinner (1-2 hours). Is there anything I can try to lessen the effects of this in the evening?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Why do you ake your nexium after dinner?

PPIs last all day and timing isn't critical but the recommendation is to take them at the same time each day and half an hour before food. Most people find half an hour before breakfast the best time as it can become an easy habit. They are absorbed in the duodenum which is why they're enteric coated to stop them being dissolved by stomach acid. Taking them before food means peristalsis of the food wil ensure they reach their correct destination beofre they break up. I wonder whether your timing means they're not being as effective as they should be?

But whereas all PPIs are good at reducing acid, they may not reduce reflux. If your symptoms are extra-oesophageal (ie LPR), Nexium may not help. Could it be you have poor peristalsis of food down the oesophagus and that some particles remain and irritate your throat?

• Posted

I take one first thing in the morning and a second one 12 hours later. It just works out that 12 hours later is always after dinner. I could try switching to before dinner. It's a good thought to try.
    • Posted

Then take the 2nd one 30 minutes before dinner, not after.
  • Posted

Is to my understanding Nexium is to be taken first thing in the morning, or 30 minutes before a meal.  Why do you take it after meal? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.