LPR treatment with PPI

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been throat clearing for months now and have a build up of white phlegm during the day almost constantly. I have the urge to belch and this can relieve the throat clearing but also seems to produce more phlegm so it is like a vicious circle.

At first I thought it might be postnasal drip but GP ruled this out and now suggested the use of PPI's for acid reflux which I think might make sense. However I have no issues at night time with heartburn or during the daytime.

The dosage is 20 mg. 4 times a day or in 2 doses of 40

Has anyone else had experience of this treatment and how long before it takes effect. will i have to stay on PPIs for ever, bit worrying as I have read some good and bad info about the use of them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have been taking Omeprazole for 15 years and was told it will be for life:(

I have tried to come off them a few times, but since the H2 blockers like Ranitidine have been banned, there isn't really anything else that helps. Gaviscon never did anything for me.

Hope they work for you.

• Posted

thanks for your reply. it is very early days for me with the higher dosage of esomeprazole but please could you let me know how long it was for you until your condition improved ? this continuous throat clearing drives me mad !!

• Posted

It hasn't really improved very much in that if I don't take the proton pump inhibitor then back comes the acid reflux. I have managed to reduce the amount I take to 2-3 times per week, so that is progress, but would love to get off them altogether. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better.

• Posted

I have been on PPi for 10 years - I have gotten worse- my doc has me on 40mg twice a day and 1 fomotidine.

It's bigginng to cause me problems- swelling in right leg and hand. B12 deficiency - I'm scheduled for surgery 8/29/22..I have a sliding hiatal hernia and a weak LOS. Every time my Gastro doc scopes me - he thinks I have cancer. SO far I do not nor do I have Barrett's. getting the surgery because I want to avoid cancer and the meds seem to be finally causing me problems..

• Posted

The problems begin to show up 2 years or so on the heavy dose mentioned above..Also would get short of breath sometimes. I'm nervous about having the surgery not so much repairing the hernia but installing linx around my esophagus.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.