LREH - low renin essential hypertension ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi...It's anyone familiar with this type of hypertension?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, this is what I have I believe, ACEs and ARB's do not work for me anymore. My renin level is very low on my labs. CCB's work somewhat and diuretics but side effects are horrible, my favorite was lisinopril, can't use it anymore. People say there are a lot of BP meds to choose from, not really, while there are a lot of different makers, there are only 6-8 different classes of BP meds. There is not much hope out there, either deal with the sides or try weight loss, walking a lot, fluid and salt reduction.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I've tried probably close to 10 different meds in the beginning and all have horrible side effects and no effect on BP at all. I'm taking generic procardia xl and losartan...the only things that even touched the BP with minimal side effects. I dumped two primary care MDs and a cardiologist who just kept pushing pills and came across as blaming me for complaining about the side effects even though the meds didn't work. I wish doctors would look for the cause of the high BP, other than the obvious, instead of just prescribing pills. I'd love to find some trials where they are actively studying groups of people to try to correct the BP without meds...so sick and tired of docs saying it's just a normal part of aging..

• Posted

Cardiologists won't check for the underlying reason, they are not trained in that, you have to go to an endocrinologist, I had to go to several to find a good one that refuses to do less than all the tests I should have. Had the cortisol dexamethosone suppression test, aldosterone/renin, adrenaline, all came back normal, next is a CAT scan to find out if I have renal artery stenosis, I did have swelling in ankles/feet. Sometimes the cause is just genetic, they don't know how to treat that yet.

• Posted

I saw a cardiologist a few weeks ago because my blood pressure was doing its own thing.  I already took Bisoprolol

Bendroflumethiazide

Losartan

He added Eplerenone to the mix, which appears to have sorted things out for me

quote from PatientUK

It works by blocking the action of a substance in your body called aldosterone. High levels of aldosterone can cause changes that result in heart failure. By blocking aldosterone, eplerenone helps prevent heart failure from worsening.

I was going to put a link to the page but it goes into a lot more detail.

The Cardiologist did tell me that I would have to check my blood potassium levels because this drug can increase them.

My blood pressure is erratic because of the drugs that I have to take, Prednisolone for one.

• Posted

Read this article completely.   i believe this is where the answers are to resistant hypertension. mine I  suspect is renal, autonomc, simpathetic pathway related,  i am considering getting the renal nerve ablation when it is available in the USA.  I used to be able to take a crumb of a 5mg Benicar and controlled to a steady 135/80, changed one day to not working at all.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/transcripts/1518_resistant-hypertension-get-your-questions-answered

• Posted

After a running battle with medication and horrible side effect it was discovered that I had white coat syndrome.  I had dheard of this but had not suffered this before.  The only drug I can tolerate is Indapamide and this has worked fine for over 20 years. To test my BP I had an ambulatory BP monitor from the surgery for all day and this confirmed my white coat syndrome, so they stopped trying to lower my BP.  As my BP is essential (ie. no particular cause) and it does rise with age so if it is upto 160/ 90 I am happy.  I do suffer now with AF and this makes my BP readings erratic.  I am at the end of a  marathon of different test to find a way forward with my cardiologist.  I have two of those, an electrophysiologist and a heart surgeon looking at my problems.  This is the result of chasing now for three years and maybe before the end of the year I will have a plan to go forward with. Keep reading the reports which you can find with the help of "dr Google" information is the way forward. For my blood pressure I now only take Indapamide SR 1.5mg to minimise the loss of potassium and am happy with this but if you start a new drug it can take upto a month before it is fully operational so have patience - and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.