LRTI thumb surgery for osteoarthritis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I had my LRTI surgery on 11th July 2019 7 weeks ago almost and I initially had minimal pain, minor swelling, I had more problems from the cut on my thumb which was ultra sore.

I Figured once the wire was removed this would get better and I would be more comfortable, but I was so wrong! I had my wire removed Monday 19th August just over a week ago and the pain has been pretty much unbearable I got to Friday 23rd August & called 111 for the pain was ridiculous I was in tears. An urgent prescription for some Tramadol was sent to my local pharmacy as I had run out mine which i occasionally use for my fibromyalgia. I was told to take 1 Tramadol tablet 4 times a day along with 2 paracetamol & 2 ibuprofen 4 times a day but the pain was still too much. I called the hospital Sunday 25th and I was advised to increase the Tramadol from 1 tablet to 2 tablets. I am still in pain but on maximum pain killers next step they said if the pain persists i should go to a & e. I have my hand therapist this Friday so i will let her evaluate to see if she needs to contact my consultant.

My consultants secretary told me having the wire removed would take 5 mins under a general anaesthetic and would be nothing at all like the first procedure which was a complete excision of my trapezium bone and the tendon from my wrist used to reconstruct the joint. As my wire was under my skin he had to open my orignal cut on my thumb to remove it. I have pain on the outer side of my hand from the base of my little finger into my wrist and across the top of my hand & knuckles is swollen, but barely any pain in my thumb! hoping nothing is wrong 😦

Has anyone else experienced this amount of pain after the wire removal its been 9 days of agony and the tablets are making me feel out of it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, 😃

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.