LS and bladder symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had Lichen Planus since I had treatment for breast cancer. It was first seen in my mouth at a routine dental appointment but was never properly diagnosed when it appeared on several areas of skin. Whilst all this was going on my GP kept treating me for what I assumed was thrush. It was only in April this year (6 years on from cancer!) that I was referred to a vulva dermatologist who diagnosed lichen planus on skin and lichen sclerosus on vulva. For months now I have been in agony with burning & throbbing, pain when weeing, thought I had a full blown infection last week but nurse at surgery says urine sample was clear of any infection. From the few posts I have just read it seems fairly conclusive that LS does indeed cause bladder symptoms?! I am seeing consultant tomorrow and i'm hoping to get some answers! sad

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. yes unfortunately i suffer from UTI's since i have has LS. I sometimes find that the burning becomes worse if the steroid touches the urethra and that sets it of. I have had courses of anti biotics on a couple of occasions annd have had the most horrible pain and discomfort even peeing pale pink (with blood) and yet when tested everything is clear. I now take cranberry tablets one twice a day as a supplement and four times a day when an attack is on, as cranberries are good stopping the bacteria from sticking to the walls of the bladder..I also find that after two small glasses of water if you then take a quarter of a teaspoonful of bi-carb in 4fl ozs of water, twice a day, this will alkaline the acid in your urine. It does work. I think with bladder trouble from LS you can protect yourself with these small treatments. The Cranberry Tablets are Cymalon. Malxx
  • Posted

I saw my consultant today. She is now saying that the LS is under control and a lot less inflamed than when I saw her in April. Discussed the urinary symptoms and the burning sensation - she has now diagnosed vulvodynia on top of LS. When does all this stop?! sad I now have lignocaine as a pain relief gel for when I'm brave enough to attempt sex again! I have also purchased some 'YES' lubricants - on reading the testimonials on the web site there are a lot of ladies with LS that are raving about it! Here's hoping. I will try the cranberry supplements as you suggested - really fed up! x
  • Posted

Hi there. I know it feels like its never ending doesnt it... Things will settle. Just keep checking the info on the messageboards as this is really important. You learn so many factors that could help your individual need. Dont forget, if you do burn then the bi carb is a brilliant acidic calmer. I know it doesnt sound nice but its not that bad at all to drink...Mal xx
  • Posted

Hi again, I think the consultant has got it wrong! I think the problem is vaginal atrophy and LS, not vulvodynia and LS! I will keep checking the forum now that I have found it. Thanks for the advice. :wink:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.