LS and heart disease?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a family history of heart disease which I had not been aware of since those relatives had died before I was born.

Have always beed disgustingly healthy...(as my mother used to say)....but a period of convenience foods, exposure to a glut of chemicals and major stress...brought on both hypothyroidism (genetic prediposition) and LS (genetic predisposition unknown).

I have been trying the Paleo lifestyle ...to address nutrient deficiences...but am interested in going back to being a veggie...so the PAEGAN concept has some appeal.

The high HEALTHY FAT debate interests me and I think I'm ok with advocadoes and coconut oil but am interested in the experience of others.

I know the old 'low fat' diet has been discredited but there are medics who continue to advise caution about fats when there is a history of coronary disease. Does any one have more info, thoughts, feelings, experience, own experiments to share about this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

NCBI [NCBI Logo]

Skip to main content

Skip to navigation

Resources

How To

About NCBI AccesskeysSign in to NCBIPubMedUS National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

Search database

Search term

[Clear input][RSS feed icon] RSS

Save search

Advanced

Help

Result Filters

Display Settings:

Abstract

Send to:

See 1 citation found by title matching your search:Adv Nutr. 2013 May 1;4(3):294-302. doi: 10.3945/an.113.003657.Dietary fats and health: dietary recommendations in the context of scientific evidence.Lawrence GD.Author information

Abstract

Although early studies showed that saturated fat diets with very low levels of PUFAs increase serum cholesterol, whereas other studies showed high serum cholesterol increased the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD), the evidence of dietary saturated fats increasing CAD or causing premature death was weak. Over the years, data revealed that dietary saturated fatty acids (SFAs) are not associated with CAD and other adverse health effects or at worst are weakly associated in some analyses when other contributing factors may be overlooked. Several recent analyses indicate that SFAs, particularly in dairy products and coconut oil, can improve health. The evidence of ω6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) promoting inflammation and augmenting many diseases continues to grow, whereas ω3 PUFAs seem to counter these adverse effects. The replacement of saturated fats in the diet with carbohydrates, especially sugars, has resulted in increased obesity and its associated health complications. Well-established mechanisms have been proposed for the adverse health effects of some alternative or replacement nutrients, such as simple carbohydrates and PUFAs. The focus on dietary manipulation of serum cholesterol may be moot in view of numerous other factors that increase the risk of heart disease. The adverse health effects that have been associated with saturated fats in the past are most likely due to factors other than SFAs, which are discussed here. This review calls for a rational reevaluation of existing dietary recommendations that focus on minimizing dietary SFAs, for which mechanisms for adverse health effects are lacking.

PMID:

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

PMCID:

PMC3650498Free PMC Article

• Posted

I don't personally have experience with the heart disease part but do eat more fat in the last 6 months than I did before. After tracking my food on myfitness pal ( I do alot of weights) was noticing I was consuming roughly 25 grams of fat a day sometimes as litlle as 15 grams. Now I eat roughly 65 grams of fat a day sometimes more, what have I noticed ? Less dry skin, less Ls symptoms and suffered with pilaris kerotosis ( white bumps on skin mainly arms) which have disapeared. I eat avocados, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, kerrygold butter, 100 % peanut butter and even lard. 

I'm sure I could find you some studies smile

• Posted

Just that I know that peanuts lowered my immunity at one time.  Resulting in me getting the singles.
    • Posted

thanks kellie

i really agree with you about increasing healthy saturated fats....they are vital to vitamin absorption and for satiety and its one of the blessings of paleo that we once again appreciate the value of eating the entire animal, out of respect too if eating meat, including the fatty cuts...the best part in many cultures.

thanks kellie for your tips which re-inforce my new approach since going paleo this last year... due to quitting grains...might try black rice...its prob closer to the wild and may have escaped chemical treatment. anyone know of a source?

have you considered almond nut butter kelli?

peanuts are avoided due to affalotoxins....could be the missing causative factor for you?

thanks hanny for that. i gather LS CAN BE DUE TO various underlying infections.

treatment can include rotated remedies to counter lurking infectious agents  ....without knocking out our immune system....which actually we all need to build up.

• Posted

Did it ? I have did have shingles twice in my teens it's not very nice.
    • Posted

I haven't eaten peanut butter for a few months now, but I have had almond butter. I'm starting to think my issue was being on the contraceptive pill for 17 years as the problems only started when i stopped just over 3 years ago, I reckon it's disrupted my endocrine system.
    • Posted

hey sounds like hanny's suggestion of quitting PNButter  has come up trumps for you!! so you had shingles...one of my nephews had it too....extremely challenging. could have been affilotoxins could have been the pill for you ...but upset hormones is another key in LS most surely.

anyway kell....i've made a resolve!  da da da dah ....stand by. i'm going to follow your suggestions for my thyroid and will start a thread in alt med about what you've said in case others might benefit too.

I am really grateful for your input and i note that things are just accelerating for you. You are whizzing into good health and dragging us all with you in the tail stream!! Thank you so much

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the product/book/web site details as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service .

• Posted

my lap top is going slow....think i have same prob as suzanne....talking adverts....very upsetting esp given the big deal made about NOT advertising.

or maybe its not advertising without payment?!

just got moderated...groan. i shared a resource.

• Posted

Just got moderated too, are we not allowed to mention Drs names ? I didn't even mention the name of the summit. Any way it kept on crashing on me so didn't even get to watch the whole first episode

• Posted

oh no...you haven't seen yesterdays.

well i've done that thing so that'll work

• Posted

i'm forgetting d r goes to moderation. this means we can't make attributions and give credit....to me that is heinous....because i do not wish to claim the words but to honour the author.

i think the site might benefit from allowing us to give credit. could mention it in the LS GROUP area we were in....tho had wanted to move on. there are other things to be said however so i may go back...i know suzanne has done so on an issue.

• Posted

My understanding is that we benefit from  healthy saturated fats but it seems there's not a concensus on this .

I started this thread because I 'm interested to going back to being vegetarian.

However I would continue to keep away from industrial seed oils for cooking and continue to use olive oil and coconut oil .

I loved this article about becoming a Paegan..but in the middle concession is made to two doctors who still advocate a low fat diet. Here's the article:

I vote for being a Pegan or Paleo-Vegan, which is what I have chosen for myself and recommend for most of my patients. Keep in mind that most of us need to personalize the approach depending on our health conditions, preferences and needs.

What is a Pegan?  Well since I just made it up, I guess it’s up to me to define.

Let’s focus first on what is in common between paleo and vegan (healthy vegan), because there is more that intelligent eating has in common than there are differences. They both focus on real, whole, fresh food that is sustainably raised.

Here are the characteristics of a healthy diet everyone agrees on:

Very low glycemic load – low in sugar, flour and refined carbohydrates of all kinds.

High in vegetables and fruits. The deeper the colors, the more variety, the better. This provides a high phytonutrient content protective against most diseases. (Although the paleo camp recommends lower glycemic fruit such as berries.)

Low in pesticides, antibiotics and hormones and probably no or low GMO foods.

No chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG, artificial sweeteners and other “Franken Chemicals” that you would never have in your pantry.

Higher in good quality fats – omega 3 fats for all. And most camps advise good quality fats from olive oil, nuts, seeds and avocados. Although some, such as Drs. Esselstyn and Ornish still advise very low fat diets for heart disease reversal.

Adequate protein for appetite control and muscle synthesis, especially in the elderly.

Ideally organic, local and fresh foods should be the majority of your diet.

If animal products are consumed they should be sustainably raised or grass fed.

If you are eating fish you should choose low mercury6 and low toxin containing fish such as sardines, herring and anchovies or other small fish and avoid tuna, swordfish and Chilean sea bass because of the high mercury load.

Now comes the areas of more controversy.

Dairy – Both the paleo and vegan camps shun dairy and for good reason. See my blog on Got Proof about the problems with dairy in our diet. While some can tolerate it, for most it contributes to obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer and may increase (not decrease) the risk of osteoporosis.

Grains– For millions of Americans gluten creates inflammation, autoimmunity, digestive disorders and even obesity. But do all grains cause a problem?  Even though we started consuming grains recently in our evolutionary history, they can be part of a healthy diet, but not in unlimited amounts.

Any grains can increase your blood sugar. And if you eat any flours made from grains, you might as well be drinking a soda.

Stick with small portions (1/2 cup at a meal) of low glycemic grains like black rice or quinoa.

That said, for type 2 diabetics wanting to get off insulin and reverse their diabetes and those with autoimmune disease, a grain- and bean-free diet could be a good experiment for a month or two to see how it impacts health.

Beans – Beans are a great source of fiber, protein and minerals. But they do cause digestive problems for some and if you are diabetic, a mostly bean diet can trigger spikes in blood sugar.  Again, moderate amounts are ok – meaning about up to 1 cup a day. Some are concerned that beans contain lectins that create inflammation or phytates that impair mineral absorption.

Meat – Here’s the sticky point. All meat is not created equally. Is it feed lot beef that has more palmitic and myristic acid7 that raises cholesterol and increases inflammation, or is it grass fed beef that has more cholesterol neutral stearic acid and contains protective omega 3 fats and vitamins A and D that raises glutathione and other antioxidants?   Some studies8 show meat increases heart disease and death rates, but others show the opposite9. In truth it depends on the quality of the study, but the evidence in my mind is trending toward meat not being linked to death or heart attacks for the reasons I explained earlier – there may have been other reasons excluded from the analysis in the meat eaters – such as they were higher sugar consumers, they were more sedentary and they were more likely to smoke and drink.  Eating sustainably raised, clean meat, poultry and lamb and other esoteric meats such as ostrich, bison or venison as part a healthy diet is not likely harmful and is very helpful in reducing triglycerides, raising HDL (or good cholesterol), lowering blood sugar, reducing belly fat, reducing appetite, raising testosterone and increasing muscle mass.  On the other hand, eating a lot of meat puts pressure on the planet – more water use, more climate change, and more energy inputs. Eat meat as a side dish or condiment, and only consume grass fed and sustainably-raised.

Eggs – For years we were taught that cholesterol is bad, that eggs contain cholesterol so they must be bad, so we all suffered through years of egg white omelets, leaving the vitamins, nutrients and brain fats like choline in the garbage. Now eggs have been exonerated10 and don’t have any impact on cholesterol and are not associated with increased risk of heart disease.  They are a great low cost source of vital nutrients and protein.

Fish – If you are worried about mercury in fish (and you should be), then choose small, omega 3 fat rich fish such as sardines or wild salmon. If you are a vegan and don’t want to eat anything with a mother for moral or religious reasons, then that perfectly ok. But it’s critical to get omega 3 fats, and not just ALA (or alpha linolenic acid) found in plants.  You need pre-formed DHA which is what most of your brain is made from. The good news – you can get it from algae.

Everyone needs Vitamin D3 (unless you are life guard or run around naked south of Atlanta for at least 20 minutes a day, all year long).  And omega 3 fats are hard to get for most. Supplements (or a regular sardine diet) are essential. And for vegans, Vitamin B12 is also critical.

So what’s an eater to do? Become a Pegan or Paleo Vegan.  Don’t worry about focusing on how much you eat, if you focus on what you eat, your body’s natural appetite control systems kick into gear and you eat less.

Here’s what that looks like.

Focus on the glycemic load of your diet. This can be done on a vegan or paleo diet, but harder on a vegan diet.  Focus on more protein and fats.  Nuts (not peanuts), seeds (flax, chia, hemp, sesame, pumpkin), coconut, avocados, sardines, olive oil.

Eat the right fats. Stay away from most vegetable oils such as canola, sunflower, corn, and especially soybean oil which now comprises about 10 percent of our calories. Focus instead on omega 3 fats, nuts, coconut, avocados and yes, even saturated fat from grass fed or sustainably raised animals.

Eat mostly plants – lots of low glycemic vegetables and fruits. This should be 75 percent of your diet and your plate. I usually make 2 to 3 vegetable dishes per meal.

Focus on nuts and seeds. They are full of protein, minerals, and good fats and they lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes.

Avoid dairy – it is for growing calves into cows, not for humans. Try goat or sheep products and only as a treat. And always organic.

Avoid gluten – Most is from Franken Wheat – so look for heirloom wheat (Einkorn); if you are not gluten sensitive, then consider it an occasional treat.

Eat gluten-free whole grains sparingly– they still raise blood sugar and can trigger autoimmunity.

Eat beans sparingly – lentils are best. Stay away from big starchy beans.

Eat meat or animal products as a condiment, not a main course. Read The Third Plate by Dan Barber to understand how shifts in our eating habits could save the environment and ourselves. Vegetables should take center stage and meat should be a side dish.

Think of sugar as an occasional treat – in all its various forms (i.e., use occasionally and sparingly).This way of eating makes the most sense for our health and the health of our planet.  It is sustainable and kinder to animals. 

• Posted

I understood the low fat diet as advocated by Ancel Keyes had been discredited.
    • Posted

is anyone else trying to give up dairy
    • Posted

I don't drink milk not even organic although we do have a dairy near by the sells raw goats milk, I might look into it. I still eat cheese it's my weakness along with chocolate.
    • Posted

Only a couple of spoon fulls of a good quality yoghurt left and some cheese.
    • Posted

Hi,

yep I've given up dairy/gluten/sugar (about 95% of the time!). Also cut way back on meat. By far the hardest for me is dairy as I love it all. I have coconut milk in my hot drink which is ok but I really miss cheese. Feel like it is doing some good tho and it's much healthier so that's some compensation !

• Posted

wow well done!

i've avoided dairy for a further week now. tried a dandelion coffee made in a cafetiaire with coconut milk...like you. i found the drink surprisingly tasty....really comforting and nourishing.

yes me too...i begin to feel my energy rising !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.